Driver Trainee(Class A CDL)/Delivery Helper
PURPOSE OF POSITION
A Driver Trainee will be trained by Summit Beverage to obtain a Class A commercial driver's license (CDL) to then assume the responsibility of a Driver with our Company. Driver Trainees will complete a comprehensive training program and be given the resources to take the CDL examination. Once the Driver Trainee completes the program and obtains a CDL, he/she will be placed into an open Driver position. While training for the Class A CDL, partners with a Delivery Driver and works as a team to provide exceptional customer service to all accounts with product delivery and merchandising. Assists driver with delivery of product merchandising within large volume stores. While at the account, duties include stocking shelves, rotating product, setting up displays, cooler stocking, product rotation, storage room organization, and the efficient movement of product from storage to the sales floor.
TYPICAL SHIFT: Tuesday – Friday with rotating Saturdays.
- Within 3-4 months: Successfully complete Summit Beverages’ CDL training program, which includes on-route training, driving experience, and resources (including the loan of a truck) necessary to take and pass the state CDL examination.
- Learn to perform complete pre- and post-operation inspection of the assigned vehicle in accordance with Company policy to ensure tire pressure, fluid levels, safety equipment, gauges, and controls are in proper working order. Report any safety issues on standard reports.
- Learn to safely operate a heavy or commercial truck along a designated route; read route sheet, follow map and service each customer as identified on the route sheet or as assigned by the company and/or supervisor.
- Learn to operate manual and/or automatic controls in accordance with Company safety policies and procedures to lift and load refuse, operate compactor and dispose of collected material at the designated facility.
- Follow all required safety policies and procedures.
- After obtaining a CDL, perform all responsibilities of a Driver.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned.
- Assists with deliveries to all scheduled accounts while adhering to all applicable driving and safety regulations;
- Unloads and moves product repetitively using appropriate equipment throughout shift while maintaining a clean and organized work area;
- Stocks all windows, cold boxes, coolers, shelves and displays in retail accounts quickly and efficiently as directed by the Route Driver;
- Rotates product to ensure quality standards are maintained;
- Effectively communicates issues and opportunities to the Route Driver or Supervisor as needed to ensure customer satisfaction;
- This list is not all inclusive of other tasks and subtasks that may be necessary in performing this role, but rather an overview of the role’s primary work tasks.
- Adhere to Company policies and procedures;
- Adhere to all applicable Federal, state, and local regulations regarding the merchandising of alcoholic beverages;
- Does not abuse equipment and maintain company property such as Company vehicles.
- Maintain appropriate dress and appearance per Company standards;
- Display effective interpersonal communication (supplier, employee, customer);
- Demonstrate accuracy and thoroughness in all areas of responsibility to ensure quality of work;
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships; and
- Show sound judgment, decision-making, and accountability.
Education & Experience:
- Current CDL or CDL permit a plus!
- No prohibitions to acquiring a commercial driver's license;
- High school diploma or GED preferred;
- Previous grocery, retail, or beverage experience a plus.
- Valid Montana driver’s license.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES (KSAs)
- Must be able to pass a DOT physical and drug test per federal regulations to drive a commercial vehicle;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff, vendors, other governmental agencies, and the general public as appropriate;
- Ability to lift/carry/move 35 lbs. (maximum of 160 lbs.);
- Ability to stand for long periods of time (including bending, reaching, lifting, pulling, etc.);
- Good interpersonal and communication skills;
- Ability to work on own initiative; Ability to handle wide range of tasks;
- Understand and effectively communicate Summit Beverage's organizational mission and goals.