POSITION SUMMARY: The EHS Manager ensures compliance and provides support to production personnel through the development and implementation of safety programs and initiatives. This position is responsible for ensuring that all work performed at Merchants Metals is done in a safe manner. This position will develop and coordinator safety trainings and programs, monitor safety regulations, and provide support to ensure compliance with federal and state regulations, for the location.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS, DUTIES, AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manages and maintain day-to-day health and safety programs and policies including auditing and regulatory recordkeeping/reporting; document and investigate all incidents involving property damage, personal injury, safety violations, unsafe conditions and non-compliance activities.
- Develops annual plant safety and health goals.
- Trains plant management, manages and motivates, safety specialist and EHS Team.
- Directs facility safety programs to protect employees against harm and maintain safe working conditions.
- Formulates and suggests work safety standards and enforces procedures.
- Meets compliance and reporting requirements of federal or state regulations.
- Directs activities of safety committee and provides safety training.
- Advises management on corrective action for safety incidents.
- Provides technical safety and health support and information to production and corporate personnel.
- Identifies company safety training needs and develops and coordinates safety training programs.
- Supports in the implementation of engineering controls to minimize safety and occupational health hazards.
- Supports plant personnel in selection of appropriate personal protective equipment.
- Promotes safety and health awareness through internal company memoranda, and newsletters.
- Assists as necessary in implementation of a hazard communication program and preparation of reports.
- Reviews process-operating procedures/records and provides input for safety and health considerations.
- Understands federal and state occupational safety and health regulations and monitors regulatory changes as they occur.
- Advises manufacturing plant and corporate staff of regulatory changes with which the plant must comply and ensures changes are made to comply within established deadlines.
- Reviews injury/illness and non-injury incident investigation reports and follows up as necessary.
- Audits practices and records of manufacturing plant to ensure compliance with company programs and federal/state occupational safety and health regulations.
- Analyze incident reports, lost-time injuries/illnesses and metrics, and worker’s compensation claims to implement changes that lead to safer environment.
- Monitor the removal of biological, physical or chemical hazards from the workplace
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Associate or bachelor’s degree in Science, Health/Occupational Safety or related field
- Safety Professional Certification (ASP or CSP) preferred.
Experience, Skills and Competencies
- Minimum 5 years’ safety supervisor, coordinator or management experience – particularly in manufacturing or process industry is preferred.
- Bilingual English/Spanish read and write.
- OSHA documentation recordkeeping experience
Must be able to work overtime and night/weekends as required
We’ve got you covered.
Employees give a lot, and we offer benefits that meet their needs. We provide industry-leading coverage and benefits to our people and their qualified family members, including:
- Medical, Dental and Vision coverage for Employees, Spouses, Dependents &/or entire Family
- Company Paid Life Insurance and Short/Long-Term Disability Insurance
- Convenient 24/7 Doctor Visits through Live Health Online
- Legal Assistance via Legal Shield
- Employee Assistance Program
- Identify Theft Protection
- Access Perks – Discounts on products and services with companies nationwide.
- 401k Retirement Program with strong company match