Electrical Field Supervisor (Entry Level) – Various Locations
Norfolk Southern Corp.
Requisition 36531: 2024 C&S Supervisor Trainee - Various Locations
Supervisors in the Communications and Signals department play a key role within our railroad operations team. Similar to how cars interact with traffic lights, trains operate using signals along the railway that convey movement information. Supervisors are responsible for overseeing the construction and maintenance of these signals and their related equipment. To accomplish this, a supervisor manages a team of employees across their territory that can span over 100 miles and include one or more rail yards.
Additionally, supervisors ensure other electrical railroad equipment such as railroad crossing gates, train defect detectors, equipment identification systems, and other railroad equipment is installed, inspected, and maintained. A supervisor will be responsible for a team ranging from roughly 8-15 technicians to carry out this work in a 24/7 environment.
The trainee program is about 44-52 -weeks in length providing leadership training and technical growth opportunities to prepare trainees to assume the duties of a C&S supervisor upon completion of the program. During the training you will spend time throughout that period at our training center in McDonough, GA where you will take courses and have various testing that must be passed to continue with training. Additionally, through on-the-job training, trainees will learn to speak the language of the railroad, including full knowledge of railroad signaling, and how to install, operate, and perform required inspections on our unique systems. Trainees will be expected to travel during the program, have availability outside of normal business hours, and have flexibility with their schedule to support our 24/7 operation.
Check out this video to see A Day in the Life of a C&S Supervisor
• Preferred Level: Associate’s degree (AS), Bachelor's Degree (BS)
• Preferred Majors: Engineering - Electrical Engineering, Electronics Engineering, Wireless Engineering, RF Engineering, Computer Science
• Environment: Outdoor/Field
• Shift Work: Yes
• On-Call: Yes
• Weekend Work: Yes
• Travel Required: Extensive Travel for some positions and/or Relocation (Relocation Benefits provided)
• Must be able to work outside and be on your feet daily
• Potential Training locations include:
• Atlanta, GA; Bellevue, OH; Birmingham, AL; Bluefield, WV; Bryan, OH; Chattanooga, TN; Chicago, IL; Christiansburg, VA; Cincinnati, OH; Cleveland, OH; Columbia, PA; Conway, PA; Cresson, PA; Dalton, GA; Danville, KY; Decatur, IL; Detroit, MI; Elkhart, IN; Enola, PA; Front Royal, VA; Ft. Wayne, IN; Gainesville, GA; Greensboro, NC; Greenville, SC; Harriman, TN; Harrisburg, PA; Hattiesburg, MS; Kansas City, MO; Knoxville, TN; Lafayette, IN; Leechburg, PA; Linwood, NC; Lock Haven, PA; Lynchburg, VA; Macon, GA; McDonough, GA; Meridian, MS; Moberly, MO; Narrows, VA; Norfolk, VA; Pittsburgh, PA; Portage, IN; Raleigh, NC; Roanoke, VA; Rockmart, GA; Sandusky, OH; Shelbyville, KY; St. Louis, MO; Toledo, OH; Valdosta, GA; Vance, AL; Waynesburg, PA; and more.
Trainee salary is $92,000/USD and steps up to $99,000/USD at the completion of your six-month training program. Our compensation package also includes Railroad Retirement, supervisor Pension Program, 401k match, health benefits, and more.
Projected Career Path:
• C&S Supervisor I - C&S Supervisor II - Regional Manager - Division Director - Senior Director
Since 1827, Norfolk Southern Corporation (NYSE: NSC) and its predecessor companies have safely moved the goods and materials that drive the U.S. economy. Today, it operates a customer-centric and operations-driven freight transportation network. Committed to furthering sustainability, Norfolk Southern helps its customers avoid 15 million tons of yearly carbon emissions by shipping via rail. Its dedicated team members deliver more than 7 million carloads annually, from agriculture to consumer goods, and is the largest rail shipper of auto products and metals in North America. Norfolk Southern also has the most extensive intermodal network in the eastern U.S., serving a majority of the country’s population and manufacturing base, with connections to every major container port on the Atlantic coast as well as the Gulf of Mexico and Great Lakes. Learn more by visiting www.NorfolkSouthern.com.
At Norfolk Southern, we believe in celebrating our individuality. By leveraging the unique backgrounds and viewpoints of our employees, we can create a culture of innovation, respect, and inclusion. We know that employees thrive in a workplace where differing viewpoints, ideas, and experiences are freely shared and valued. As such, we encourage all employees to contribute their distinctive skills and capabilities to our organization.
Equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants regardless of race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetic information, veteran status, sexual orientation, and gender identity. Together, we power progress.ID:uDnQdo