Job DescriptionBAE Systems is looking for a Mechanical Engineer to join its production support and product sustainment team in Endicott, NY. The production support engineer will support production of aerospace control electronics for commercial and military applications. The candidate will regularly engage with engineers and manufacturing teams located in Endicott, NY. Job responsibilities for the position include:
- Develop solutions to a variety of complex problems including field failures, component obsolescence, and cost reductions
- Design for produce ability, partnering with the Manufacturing Engineer to drive a producible and cost efficient design in the production environment
- Interpret mechanical design requirements, customer specifications, industry and military specifications and ensure that all requirements are realized in the design of the equipment
- Generate and review the technical content of drawings, engineering specifications, reports and other documentation associated with the mechanical design
- Perform the writing and incorporation of engineering change notices, manage product configurations, and review changes written by other team members
- Collaborate with the manufacturing engineers to ensure the design is reliable, producible and meets the customer needs
- Support senior engineering personnel in the mechanical design, development and selection of hardware components for electrical mechanical assemblies utilizing fundamental mechanical engineering principles, theories and techniques
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as required to support product production.
About BAE Systems Electronic SystemsBAE Systems, Inc. is the U.S. subsidiary of BAE Systems plc, an international defense, aerospace and security company which delivers a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support services. Improving the future and protecting lives is an ambitious mission, but it’s what we do at BAE Systems. Working here means using your passion and ingenuity where it counts – defending national security with breakthrough technology, superior products, and intelligence solutions. As you develop the latest technology and defend national security, you will continually hone your skills on a team—making a big impact on a global scale. At BAE Systems, you’ll find a rewarding career that truly makes a difference. Electronic Systems (ES) is the global innovator behind BAE Systems’ game-changing defense and commercial electronics. Exploiting every electron, we push the limits of what is possible, giving our customers the edge and our employees opportunities to change the world. Our products and capabilities can be found everywhere – from the depths of the ocean to the far reaches of space. At our core are more than 14,000 highly talented Electronic Systems employees with the brightest minds in the industry, we make an impact – for our customers and the communities we serve.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion:
At BAE Systems, we work hard every day to nurture an inclusive culture where employees are valued and feel like they belong. We are conscious of the need for all employees to see themselves reflected at every level of the company and know that in order to unlock the full potential of our workforce, everyone must feel confident being their best, most sincere self and be equipped to thrive. We provide impactful professional development experiences to our employees and invest in social impact partnerships to uplift communities and drive purposeful change. Here you will find significant opportunities to do meaningful work in an environment intentionally designed to be one where you will learn, grow and belong.
Required Skills and Education
- Bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering and 2 plus years of relevant work experience
- Strong communications skills (both orally and in writing) and ability to communicate effectively at all levels and demonstrated teamwork abilities.
- Exhibits sound interpersonal skills involving interfacing, coordinating and negotiating with company personnel, customers, suppliers.
- Experience using state-of-the-art technology, principles, tools and concepts required
- Experience developing mechanical requirements, designs, verification and validation of products, and product integration
- Ability to read and understand engineering drawings, run-lists, and schematics and manufacturing instructions
- Experience with configuration management practices
- Ability to make decisions using sound judgment while complying with policies, procedures, appropriate principles and applicable state and federal laws and regulations
Preferred Skills and Education
- Design of Electronics Assemblies using 3D CAD tools such as Creo Parametric or similar 3D CAD tools
- Familiarity with Design for Manufacturing (DFM) practices and manufacturing equipment
- Familiarity and experience with flight, engine or industrial controls programs
- Familiarity with support equipment development for both engineering and manufacturing
- Experience with mechanical development lifecycle and development processes and procedures
- Working knowledge of commercial and military specifications and standards related to mechanical design and documentation
- Experience recognizing and solving mechanical failure modes that occur in high reliability environments
- Ability to effectively lead a small team in the solution of open ended problems
- Analyze, evaluate, develop and implement processes and systems within budget and adhere to time requirements and schedule
Typical Education and ExperienceTypically a Bachelor's Degree and 2 years work experience or equivalent experience