Eng Sr Prin – Sys
Los Angeles, CA
The BAE Systems Los Angeles Business Center (LABC) wants your Systems Engineering talent to perform system design activities such as developing and managing system, hardware and software requirements, developing system architectures and designs, performing system level integration/test and assisting in validation for complex avionics control systems. As a systems engineer in our organization, you will be responsible for ensuring successful technical execution of development and test programs and providing critical input to Systems Engineering discipline processes in support of Controls and Avionics Solutions at LABC.
Controls and Avionics Solutions provides flight and mission-critical products to more than 170 commercial and military customers around the world. CAS products include flight controls systems, full authority digital engine controls (FADEC), autonomous flight systems, power management systems, flight deck systems, control sticks, cabin management systems, intermediate and depot level test stands, weapon controls and mission systems for the world's most prominent commercial and military aircraft manufacturers.
Salary Range: $122,870 - $208,890
Please note: This range is based on our market pay structures. However, individual salaries are determined by a variety of factors including, but not limited to: business considerations, local market conditions, and internal equity, as well as candidate qualifications, such as skills, education, and experience.
Employee Benefits: At BAE Systems, we support our employees in all aspects of their life, including their health and financial well-being. Regular employees scheduled to work 20+ hours per week are offered: health, dental, and vision insurance; health savings accounts; a 401(k) savings plan; disability coverage; and life and accident insurance. We also have an employee assistance program, a legal plan, and other perks including discounts on things like home, auto, and pet insurance. Our leave programs include paid time off, paid holidays, as well as other types of leave, including paid parental, military, bereavement, and any applicable federal and state sick leave. Employees may participate in the company recognition program to receive monetary or non-monetary recognition awards. Other incentives may be available based on position level and/or job specifics.
Duties and responsibilities include:
- Performs systems engineering functions by doing one or more of the following:
- Develop, allocate and manage complex system, hardware and software requirements.
- Research and develop complex, safety critical, embedded control system designs and architectures.
- Define hardware, software, and programmable logic interfaces and functionality.
- Prepare and/or review documentation for system designs and architectures in accordance with established systems development processes and procedures.
- Perform system/product integration.
- Verify and validate moderately complex aspects of systems designs to ensure conformance with functional specifications and customer requirements.
- Produce and/or review technical documents, specifications and standards.
- Support business leaders in identifying potential new products or business opportunities and define associated program requirements.
- Support proposal development activities, including proposal text development, cost estimating and presentation activities.
- May support various specialty-engineering tasks such as Reliability, Maintainability & Availability analysis, Integrated Logistics Support.
- Prepare and deliver basic customer and technical presentations.
Your experience at BAE Systems will give you the ability to work with industry experts in the fields of System Safety, Digital and Analog Circuits, Complex Printed Wiring Boards, Multi-Core and ARM Hardware and Software, Operating System and Board Support Software development and Programmable Logic Devices to the top Commercial and Military standards.
About BAE Systems Electronic SystemsBAE Systems, Inc. is the U.S. subsidiary of BAE Systems plc, an international defense, aerospace and security company which delivers a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support services. Improving the future and protecting lives is an ambitious mission, but it’s what we do at BAE Systems. Working here means using your passion and ingenuity where it counts – defending national security with breakthrough technology, superior products, and intelligence solutions. As you develop the latest technology and defend national security, you will continually hone your skills on a team—making a big impact on a global scale. At BAE Systems, you’ll find a rewarding career that truly makes a difference. Electronic Systems (ES) is the global innovator behind BAE Systems’ game-changing defense and commercial electronics. Exploiting every electron, we push the limits of what is possible, giving our customers the edge and our employees opportunities to change the world. Our products and capabilities can be found everywhere – from the depths of the ocean to the far reaches of space. At our core are more than 14,000 highly talented Electronic Systems employees with the brightest minds in the industry, we make an impact – for our customers and the communities we serve.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion:
At BAE Systems, we work hard every day to nurture an inclusive culture where employees are valued and feel like they belong. We are conscious of the need for all employees to see themselves reflected at every level of the company and know that in order to unlock the full potential of our workforce, everyone must feel confident being their best, most sincere self and be equipped to thrive. We provide impactful professional development experiences to our employees and invest in social impact partnerships to uplift communities and drive purposeful change. Here you will find significant opportunities to do meaningful work in an environment intentionally designed to be one where you will learn, grow and belong.
Required Skills and Education
- Bachelor's Degree in related engineering field
- 10+ years of experience in avionics or electronic controls embedded development, including familiarity with systems such as flight controls, control sticks or mission systems.
- Experience in full lifecycle development including system requirements, design, system-level integration, validation, and verification.
- Experience in designing, architecting and integrating electronic control systems which include hardware, software and programmable logic devices.
- Technical writing skills: capable of creating required engineering documentation.
- Understanding of Intermediate and Depot Level Maintenance support testing requirements
Preferred Skills and Education
- Master’s Degree in related engineering field
- 12+ years of experience in avionics or electronic controls embedded development, including familiarity with systems such as flight controls, control sticks or mission systems.
- Experience with development of formal validation and verification procedures.
- Experience designing, architecting and integrating electro-mechanical control systems.
- Experience with Multi-core and ARM processing hardware and software design.
- Familiar with safety critical development including ARP4754, DO-178B/C and DO-254 or equivalent stringent process requirements.
- Experience with circuit design (Mentor Graphics)
- Knowledgeable of commercial and military certification objectives and activities.
- Working knowledge of model based development of systems and/or software.
- Acceptance Test Experience, Philosophy and testing at both Intermediate and Depot level.
Typical Education and ExperienceTypically a Bachelor's Degree and 8 years work experience or equivalent experience