Engineer- Development II (Rotation)
First Solar, Inc.
First Solar reserves the right to offer you a role most applicable to your experience and skillset.
Basic Job Functions:
First Solar’s Development Engineering Rotation Program is designed to provide recent graduates with MS or PhD degrees in science and engineering the opportunity to start a career in solar-photovoltaic R&D. The Program has a targeted duration of 12 months, during which successful participants spend three to six months in three different R&D teams in our Development-Engineering organization in Perrysburg, OH. Program participants have the opportunity to provide technical support or manage projects in the areas of advanced research, manufacturing process development, controls, startup, and continuous improvement. After all rotations are complete, successful participants are placed into a full-time Development Engineer position. Each of the assignments (and final post-program Development Engineer placements) will be determined by leadership based on each participants’ individual skillsets, academic areas of study, business needs, and individual interests.
Rotation program participants are offered employment up to six months in advance of starting the program. We are currently seeking rotation program candidates to be hired in 2024.
- No experience outside normal graduate-level lab work is required.
- Recent graduate with MS or PhD degree, optional Postdoc.
- Target disciplines are, but are not limited to electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, industrial engineering, physics, chemistry, Materials Science, and chemical engineering.
- Solid writing, presentation, and verbal skills.
- Proficient use of all Microsoft Office suite programs.
- Statistical data analysis.
- Track record of innovation.
- Participation in on-boarding and training programs (safety, statistical process control/design of experiments, specialized software training, business-case justification, CdTe device physics, etc.).
- Participation in cross-functional project teams.
- Design of effective experiments, coordination of efforts to perform experiments, evaluation of results through statistical methods.
- Frequent presentations and written reports that allow for development of leadership and communication skills.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Job description subject to change at any time.
- Development Manager or Development Director.
- In addition to their direct supervisor, all participants will be mentored by a small group of experienced managers.
Focused Performance Management:
One fundamental element of the Rotation Program is the hiring of new graduates. By nature, the ideal candidates are bright, ambitious scholars with successful academic track records with the possibility of limited to no industry experience. First Solar is committed to ensuring these associates have the most positive “first job” experience possible. Contrary to traditional onboarding of experienced engineers, rotation program associates are more closely managed and coached to ensure successful integration into the company. The Development Engineering Rotation Program includes an introductory period within the first Rotation. First Solar uses this period to more closely evaluate capabilities, work habits, and overall performance to ensure candidates begin employment with a trajectory of success. Similarly, the introductory period is intended to give new program participants the opportunity to demonstrate their ability to achieve a satisfactory level of performance and to determine whether the new position meets their expectations.
- Limited, project-based travel is required.
Estimated Salary Range:
- $75,100 - $115,000 Annually
US Physical Requirements:
Hybrid Physical Requirements
- Will sit, stand, or walk short distances for up to the entire duration of a shift.
- Will climb stairs on a frequent basis.
- Will lift up to 58 pounds on an occasional basis, according to work instruction.
- Will lift up to 37 pounds on a frequent basis.
- Will push or pull up to 27 pounds of force on an occasional basis.
- Will push or pull up to 10 pounds of force on a frequent basis.
- Required to use hands to grasp, lift, handle, carry or feel objects repetitively on a frequent basis.
- 20/40 vision in each eye (with or without correction) and the ability to distinguish between red, yellow, and green is required.
- May reach above shoulder and below the waist heights on a frequent basis.
- May stoop, kneel, or bend, on an occasional basis.
- Must be able to comply with all safety standards and procedures.
- Ability to wear personal protective equipment is required (including but not limited to steel toed shoes, gloves, safety glasses, hearing protection, protective jacket or apron and arm guards).
- All associates working on the production floor may be required to wear a respirator at any given time and thus, the ability to wear a respirator is a condition of employment and continued employment (requires little or no facial hair).
Potential candidates will meet the education and experience requirements provided on the above job description and excel in completing the listed responsibilities for this role. All candidates receiving an offer of employment must successfully complete a background check and any other tests that may be required.
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement: First Solar is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values and respects the importance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is the policy of the company to recruit, hire, train, and promote persons in all job titles without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity. We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a driving force in the success of our company.ID:uDnQdo