Job SummaryGeneral Atomics Aeronautical Systems, Inc. (GA-ASI), an affiliate of General Atomics, is a world leader in proven, reliable remotely piloted aircraft and tactical reconnaissance radars, as well as advanced high-resolution surveillance systems.
We have an exciting opportunity for a Staff Systems Engineer for the Gray Eagle MQ-1C Engineering group in San Diego, CA. Under general guidance with limited review, this position will perform systems engineering to develop enhancements, including conceptual through final design of new Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS) capabilities. Focus of this role will be on executing Model Based Systems Engineering (MBSE) to shape and develop future aircraft systems.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Enjoy working with a high performing and collaborative team that believes in the Systems Engineering methodology and development process.
- Apply Model-Based Systems Engineering (MBSE) techniques to capture structural, behavioral, parametric and requirement aspects of the system.
- Use SysML to express system requirements with use case diagrams, activity diagrams, sequence diagrams, state diagrams, block definition diagrams and internal block diagrams and requirement diagrams.
- Formulate and execute the development of new system capabilities and features from concept to fielding.
- Lead stakeholder requirements elicitation, analysis, and definition.
- Perform analysis of stakeholder requirements to decompose and allocate requirements to lower levels of specification (system/segment/subsystem/component). Ensure traceability between requirements at all levels of specification.
- Troubleshoot conflicting design/development requirements at all specification levels to ensure adequacy and satisfaction of requirements.
- Maintain, manage, and integrate requirements across various modeling tools and requirements management systems.
- Collaborate with peers across various projects to promote knowledge sharing, model reuse and consistency in approach.
- Lead and support technical coordination across engineering groups to facilitate the implementation, verification, and validation of system requirements.
- Prepare, review and present technical specifications.
- Represent system engineering team as a prime technical contact at regular stakeholder meetings such as requirements change control boards, design reviews, and technical interchange meetings.
- Lead and participate in continuous improvement of system engineering processes.
- Responsible for observing all laws, regulations, and other applicable obligations wherever and whenever business is conducted on behalf of the Company.
- Expected to work in a safe manner in accordance with established operating procedures and practices.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
We recognize and appreciate the value and contributions of individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences and welcome all qualified individuals to apply.
- Typically requires a bachelor’s degree, master’s degree or PhD in Engineering or a related technical discipline from an accredited institution and progressive Engineering experience as follows; six or more years of experience with a bachelor’s degree, or four or more years of experience with a master's degree, or two or more years with a PhD. May substitute equivalent Engineering experience in lieu of education.
- Must be able to develop, communicate, and apply new concepts in an evolving environment.
- Demonstrates a passion to tackle challenging engineering problems, applying innovative approaches to resolving unusual or complex engineering problems.
- Must be able to develop new concepts quickly and apply them accurately throughout evolving development.
- Good communication, computer, and interpersonal skills are required to enable an effective interface with other professionals, to produce appropriate documentation, and to present results to a limited internal audience.
- Must be able to work both independently and on a team.
- Able to work extended hours as required.
- Experience with Modeling methodologies including SysML, UML, and Model Based Systems Engineering.
- Experience with requirements development, analysis, definition, allocation, decomposition, and traceability.
- Experience with requirements management tools such as IBM Rational DOORS.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a DoD security clearance is required.
- Willing to travel up to 10%.