San Diego, CA
Job SummaryGeneral Atomics (GA), and its affiliated companies, is one of the world’s leading resources for high-technology systems development ranging from the nuclear fuel cycle to remotely piloted aircraft, airborne sensors, and advanced electric, electronic, wireless and laser technologies.
General Atomics Electromagnetic Systems (GA-EMS) designs and manufactures first-of-a-kind electromagnetic and electric power generation systems. GA-EMS’ expanding portfolio of specialized products and integrated system solutions support critical fleet, space systems and satellites, missile defense, power and energy, and process and monitoring applications for defense, industrial, and commercial customers worldwide.
We have an exciting opportunity for an Electrical Engineer (EE) to join our Electrical Technologies team located in Rancho Bernardo. We are looking for someone with drive, talent, and experience in Aerospace Cable and Harness design who also thrives in a fast-paced, Research and Development (R&D) prototype environment. The successful candidate will report to the Electrical Integration Team Manager and, alongside high-caliber staff, will be engaged in the engineering support and new development of high-power electromagnetic systems, high-energy laser systems, advanced airborne sensors, satellite and space systems, and a variety of other technologies in the expanding product portfolio of GA-EMS.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Work with GA-EMS cross-functional engineering staff in the prototype design, manufacturing, and integration of electrical cables and harnesses for high-reliability aerospace and satellite applications.
- Actively participate in system level design of systems across all project phases, through subsystem architectural design and hardware development.
- Define and document electrical interconnects through coordination with system, subsystem, and unit engineers.
- Incorporate project flow down of requirements into harness and cable design.
- Prepare design packages and support design reviews.
- Help establish routing and segmentation of harnesses and cables in systems.
- Monitor procurement, manufacturing and delivery of components through purchasing and manufacturing departments to ensure that schedules are met.
- Create clear and releasable documents and guide less experienced professional staff in doing so.
- Generate electrical cabling and harness solutions for new project needs, contribute to CAD library construction and management, perform electrical engineering analyses for systems and circuits, document findings, communicate results to engineering and program management staff, give technical presentations, and manage technical effort schedules.
- Responsible for guiding the successful resolution of engineering problems, serve as a consulting resource for engineering knowledge, apply the latest technological advancements to the problem, and will often function in a project leadership role.
- May lead a cross-functional engineering team in technical efforts involving the design and integration of high-reliability, aerospace-grade cables and harnesses for a variety of systems, projects, and applications, including, but not limited to, satellite and space systems.
- Contribute to complex, electro-mechanical engineering efforts with design quality and hardware reliability in mind while exercising business strategy, political savvy, and technical acumen.
- Grasp, understand, correlate, and apply concepts in electrical engineering to pieces in a complex system.
- With limited direction, plan and execute technical efforts quickly and strategically. Assignments will normally be outlined in terms of broad specifications, objectives, possible results anticipated, and critical reference points requiring special attention.
- May represent the organization as the prime technical contact on projects.
- Performs other duties as assigned or required.
We recognize and appreciate the value and contributions of individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences and welcome all qualified individuals to apply.
- Typically requires a bachelors degree, masters degree or PhD in engineering or a related technical discipline from an accredited institution and progressive engineering experience as follows; six or more years of experience with a bachelors degree, four or more years of experience with a masters degree, or two or more years with a PhD. May substitute equivalent engineering experience in lieu of education.
- Required Experience: Electrical cable and harness design and integration for aerospace and satellite systems; successful design and delivery of spacecraft or aerospace harnesses and RF cables; extensive knowledge of military and NASA standards for harnesses, connectors, wires, contacts, and workmanship for space applications such as MIL-DTL-38999, MIL-DTL-5015, MIL-DTL-24308, MIL-DTL-83513, MIL-HBK-83575, IPC/WHMA-A-620 Space, NASA-STD-8739.4, and ANSI/NEMA WC 27500.
- Desirable Experience: Guiding a design through development and into prototyping for future production; familiarity with DoD technical review process (at a minimum, SRR, PDR, CDR, TRR); familiarity with unmanned spacecraft design and implementation practices.
- Desired Skills (ranked high to low): Experience with Solidworks Electrical for harness design.
- Demonstrate technical expertise and application of engineering principles, concepts, theory, and practice with the ability to organize, plan, schedule, conduct, and coordinate workloads to meet established deadlines or milestones with some experience in project leadership.
- Must possess the ability to understand new concepts quickly and apply them accurately throughout an evolving project environment.
- Strong communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills are required to enable an effective interface with other departments and/or professionals.
- Customer-focused and able to formulate plans based on the development of innovative new designs in resolving advanced technical engineering problems.
- Capable of representing the organization as a prime technical contact, as well as providing leadership and guidance to less experienced colleagues.
- Must be able to work both independently and in a team environment.
- The submission of a cover letter with resume is desired.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a DoD Security Clearance is required.