Engineering Technician II – Laser
Johnson Matthey Pharmaceutical Materials
San Diego, CA
Pay Range: $32.00/hr - $37.00/hr
Together for a cleaner, healthier world.
Johnson Matthey, a FTSE 250 company, is a global leader in sustainable technologies specialising in catalysis, precious metal products, chemicals and process technology. With operations in over 30 countries, we employ more than 14,000 people. Johnson Matthey uses science to make the world cleaner and healthier. Over the past two centuries we have built our reputation and place as a global leader through quality, integrity, and innovation. Today, more than 93% of the group's sales come from products and services which provide sustainability benefits through the positive impact they have on the environment, resource efficiency and human health, but that’s not enough. We have ambitious plans for growth and need talented individuals to help shape and lead us into our next century.
This position is responsible for directly supporting various production departments on site through a combination of continuous improvement application and early-stage development work. Responsibilities could include development and transfer of new parts to production scale, improvement or optimization of existing processes, support of equipment service/maintenance activity, and/or integration of new technologies or equipment into existing production departments.
Shift: 10a-11p either Fri-Sun or Sa-Mon
- Programming, setting up, and producing existing products and new products that are within previously established capability of the CNC machines.
- Troubleshooting and resolving recurring/typical machine issues. Investigating new issues with equipment and providing feedback on solution options. Acting as primary JM contact with vendors for more advanced troubleshooting.
- Responsible for updating and generating new production documents using MS Excel and Word.
- Able to design and produce tooling for new product that is similar to existing tooling in production.
- Performing dimensional and visual inspection on components, documenting inspection results where necessary.
- Adequately controlling programs and processes in document control system (MasterControl).
- Supporting process improvements and ongoing Lean improvement projects.
- Supporting capital equipment justifications for new machines or processes technologies that will support site goals of increasing quality, cost, and/or cycle time.
- Familiarity with quoting process and can provide quotes when primary quoter is unavailable.
- Complying with Quality Policy, Quality Objectives, and Quality Operating Procedures.
- Supporting production department investigations into Quality concerns
- May include limited travel requirements, less than 10% of time.
Requirements for the role:
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Engineering degree or machining certification preferred
- 3-4 years’ experience in a manufacturing environment, preferably servicing the Medical Device Industry, or a Technical Degree in a machine-related discipline
- Ability to operate machinery such as: mill, lathe, laser or other related CNC machinery
- Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematics or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables
- Proficient in the use of computers and MS Windows, specifically including Microsoft Word and Excel applications
- Ability to read and interpret Engineering Drawings with GD&T
- 1-2 years’ experience reading, writing and editing CNC programs
- Ability to occasionally lift 10-20 pounds
How you will be rewarded:
We offer a competitive compensation and JM Elements benefits package including bonus, excellent pension contributions and 20 days annual leave (varies for shift- based roles). Our JM Elements Benefits programme helps our employees understand and manage the JM benefits, as well as helping you focus on your overall wellbeing – for you and your family.
We use our inspiring science and technology to enhance lives. For those who are passionate about sustainable solutions and shaping our markets, we offer stretch and a wealth of diverse opportunities.
We’ll give you freedom to bring your whole self to work and be part of a team where difference matters and all voices are heard, that genuinely cares for you and where your contribution is appreciated. We’ll empower you to lean in and make things happen, to create solutions and value for our customers. United by our values and vision, we’re self-starters sharing the same values and accountability and always with a shared commitment to doing the right thing. We’re passionate about making a difference and delivering a better tomorrow for us and for you – a cleaner and healthier world, today and for future generations.
Johnson Matthey is open for discussion on part time, job share and flexible working patterns.
How to apply:
If you have the necessary skills and experience to join our team, please apply online. For any queries or should you require any reasonable adjustments to support your application please let your recruiter know when they contact you.
If you are already a Johnson Matthey Employee, please visit the internal careers site to apply: Find Jobs - Workday (myworkday.com)
All applications are carefully considered and your details will be stored on our secure Application Management System. This is used throughout Johnson Matthey for the selection of suitable candidates for our vacancies as they arise. Johnson Matthey respects your privacy and is committed to protecting your personal information. For more information about how your personal data is used please view our privacy notice: Johnson Matthey Privacy Notice
You will be contacted by the Johnson Matthey Talent Acquisition team once your details have been reviewed. Please allow four weeks from the closing date to allow for screening to take place.
We appreciate the time and effort taken in completing an application.
By applying for this role and creating an account you are agreeing to Johnson Matthey Privacy Notice
Johnson Matthey Plc is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.ID:uDnQdo