Environmental Health & Safety (EH&S) Technician
Golden Grain Energy, LLC
Mason City, IA
JOB TITLE: Environmental Health & Safety (EH&S) Technician
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
SUPERVISOR’S TITLE: Environmental Health & Safety Manager
General Summary: Responsible for the various functions associated with environmental, health and safety in conjunction with the EH&S Manager.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintains a comprehensive training plan which includes training completed/due within ERI Training Management for each employee
- Administers plant wide training and testing programs i.e. First Aid/CPR/AED, Respirator and Audiometric testing.
- Manages first aid cabinets on-site and restocks as necessary, which includes managing AED’s on-site and performing monthly checks
- Communicates with EH&S Manager on the need to order additional supplies
- Administers GGE’s contractor safety program to ensure all contractors have successfully completed and uploaded required data prior to performing work on-site which also includes performing contractor audits, insurance and training compliance
- Ensures all employees have an adequate supply of PPE and they are knowledgeable as to when they should be using each type of PPE
- Actively works as a Safety liaison for GGE employees and contractors on-site
- Completes monthly and annual fire extinguisher inspections while ensuring all buildings at GGE are adequately supplied with the correct style/configuration and quantity of extinguishers
- Conducts weekly walk-around inspections to pinpoint and communicate hazards to EH&S Manager
- Completes inspections of all eye wash stations on-site and ensures adequate placement, twice a month
- Completes monthly inspections of fire extinguishers and maintains annual compliance of all fire extinguishers
- Maintains a comprehensive training plan which includes training completed/due within PROtect for each employee
- Actively involved in the safety committee including attending monthly meetings
- Ensures all pertinent employees are competent to operate a 4-gas air monitoring device.
- After successful completion of Powered Industrial Trucks Trainer the Trainer course will facilitate training for forklift, scissor lift, and end loader operations to employees responsible for using the equipment
- Maintains regular compliance documentation as related to Environmental Air Permitting
- Assists with the development and implementation of improving systems to enable 100% compliance with regulatory requirements through effective support, interaction and dialogue with fellow managers and employees.
- Assists with environmental permits to allow maximum operational flexibility.
- Assists with, develops and implements programs to ensure all facility changes satisfy environmental regulations and DOT Hazardous Materials Shipping requirements; effectively track regulatory changes to ensure continuous compliance.
- Develops and maintains good working relationships with regulatory agencies and local officials (EPA, DOT, DNR, TTB, and City of Mason City).
- Professionally and timely communicates with EHS Manager, various vendors, consultants and regulatory agencies
- Serves as the secondary contact for environmental regulatory inspections and audits; including but not limited to scheduling audits, being active during the audits/inspections and providing any information needed to the regulatory agency.
- Accurately maintains a weather spreadsheet that tracks precipitation/temperatures to understand the average each month for FSMA and tank farm discharge tracking
- Assists the Environmental Management System
- Completes required training and attends additional training/conferences as recommended by the company including but not limited to OSHA 10 and OSHA 30
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies to perform the essential functions of this position:
Education and Experience: High School diploma or equivalent; AA, BA, or BS or equivalent experience preferred. Prior industry/manufacturing experience is preferred.
Physical Requirements: Must have ability to lift at least 50 pounds, climb ladders, work at heights of up to 150 feet, and stand/walk for long periods of time.
Working Conditions: Work areas are exposed to all elements of weather, loud noise, and dusty conditions. Also exposure to chemicals and heavy moving machinery is possible.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee incumbent in this position. Employee will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments.
I have received, reviewed and fully understand the job description for Environmental Health and Safety Technician. I further understand that I am responsible for the satisfactory execution of the essential functions described therein, under any and all conditions as described.