Food Safety & Quality Manager
Alta-Tesse, a subsidiary of Tessemae’s LLC
JOB TITLE: Food Safety & Quality Manager
LOCATION: Gonzales, CA
REPORTS TO: Director of Plant Operations
SUMMARY: Alta-Tesse is a high-performing manufacturer, innovator, and distributer of fresh prepared foods. We put our customers first in everything that we do, and we govern ourselves with the values of teamwork, respect, empathy, quality, innovation, and accountability.
The Food Safety and Quality (FSQ)) Manager is a critical member of the management team in ensuring that food products produced and sourced by Tessemae’s meet the company’s and regulatory authorities’ standards. The FSQ Manager develops and maintains quality, safety and environmental policies and manage audit and certification requirements. He/she will lead the quality assurance team and support manufacturing operations.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Owner of Alta-Tesse’s Primus GFS program, including continuously improving policies and procedures
- Owner of Alta-Tesse’s Food Safety and HAACP Plans including continuously improving these systems per regulatory requirements such as FSMA, etc.
- Lead and manage daily quality activities and requirements per Alta-Tesse’s Primus GFS program including maintaining all required QA records
- Ensure all company food safety and quality procedures are documented and followed correctly at all times
- Conduct and coordinate in house and 3rd party lab testing
- Monitor and verify quality information pertaining to all inbound materials, completed finished goods for outbound shipments
- Collaborate with Customer Happiness on any escalated quality or food safety consumer issues
- Lead all cross functional teams required for the resolution of any escalated quality or food safety issues
- Conduct monthly GMP Audits and lead the cross functional operations teams on corrective action plans
- Manage daily sanitation process for manufacturing and non-manufacturing areas of the facility
- Ensure all scheduled sanitation activities are completed on-time and in accordance with defined procedures
- Develop and continuously improve Alta-Tesse’s SSOPs to ensure the highest level of sanitation
- Develop and maintain training as per SQF and FSMA requirements for quality, food safety and safety programs to all Alta-Tesse’s employees
- Provide required training to all associates that support the manufacturing process: sourcing, planning, manufacturing, batching, warehouse, R&D, eCommerce, maintenance, and sanitation
- Support, develops and delivers new employee onboarding
- Develop a culture of Continuous Improvement by utilizing process improvement and problem-solving techniques (SPC, LEAN, SIX SIGMA)
- Participate in external organizations or committees such as quality, scientific or industry groups
- Collaborate with contract manufacturing partners on compliance to company product standards
- Performs other related duties as assigned by management.
- Manage QA and Sanitation team performance.
- Lead cross-functional work to update or create SOPs as required by business changes.
- Develop all Primus programs and road maps to ensure successful passing and completion of audits.
- Conduct meetings day of audit with Auditors from Primus, FDA, and all other 3rd party auditing bodies.
- Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws.
- Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Must be bilingual in English and Spanish
- A minimum of 5-7 years of quality and food safety experience, with management level experience in HACCP, FSMS, preferred.
- Certified PCQI
- Bachelor’s Degree in food science, physical sciences, engineering, or quality assurance
- Comprehensive knowledge and previous experience with HACCP, GMP, GFSI, FSMS, SQF, FSSC 22000, Primus GFS, FDA and/or USDA audits desirable
- Experience working in a produce focused facility
- Experience with Safety Management and Environmental Compliance programs and certification
- Must be flexible with work schedule to support growing operational requirements