FWA Power Lineman
Fort Wainwright, AK
Doyon Utilities provides excellent career opportunities for motivated individuals. As the primary utility provider for the U.S. Military in Alaska, we offer stability and opportunity even in uncertain times. If you want to be a part of a work family that values professionalism, dedication, collaboration and innovation, we're the right company for you. Full health care coverage, a generous 401(k), and a month of annual paid time off are some of our amazing Company benefits. Our Company culture will make you feel right at home.A Brief OverviewAssist in the installation, rearrangement, maintenance, operation, removal and inspection of electrical distribution facilities, including substations and services. Drive and operate line trucks and associated auxiliary equipment. Serve as a member of a line crew responsible for maintenance and repair of both overhead and underground electrical distribution systems. Provide standby electrical coverage within published response times as required by the Doyon Utilities privatization contract to ensure response to electrical outages at the installation where employed. Employee must maintain a Class B commercial driver's license and a Journeyman Lineman Certificate of Fitness issued by the State of Alaska.
What you will do
- Climbs poles or uses a bucket truck to install or repair wires, arms, insulators, or other hardware on poles.
- Install and repair underground facilities such as cable, transformers, potheads and pedestals.
- Install pole hardware and such auxiliary equipment as transformers, lightning arresters, switches, fuses and insulators using hand tools and mechanical devices.
- Opens and closes switches and installs grounding devices to lines and equipment.
- Use insulated poles (hot sticks) to facilitate safe handling of high voltage lines without interrupting service, install protective grounds and cover-up. Operate hot sticks fitted with mechanically or hydraulically operated grasping and crimping tools to perform energized line work up to 35 KV. Use personal protective equipment such as rubber gloves and cover-up.
- Maintain electrical components for base wide utility system including substations, transfer switches, transformers, street lighting systems, airfield lighting systems and distribution lines using scheduled work orders and planned maintenance system.
- Serve as first responder for electrical outages, assess cause and develop a response/repair course of action to reestablish electrical service.
- Perform technical inspections on electrical equipment and maintain assigned equipment in safe and operable condition.
- Performs inspection and testing of secondary & primary meters to include repair and replacement as required.
- May be required to test and/or maintain emergency and backup generators.
Conditions of Employment
- Must pass a pre-employment drug test, random drug test thereafter in accordance with the published policy of Doyon Utilities.
- Must have a valid driver's license issued by the State of Alaska.
- Must be eligible to work on a military installation in Alaska. Eligibility to work on a military installation includes compliance with Department of Defense mandates with respect to employee background and health directives.
- High School Diploma or equivalent Required
- Ability to analyze electrical systems and select a safe course of action to determine causes of power outages.
- Possess journeyman level of knowledge for High Voltage Electrical/Lineman duties.
- Must possess knowledge of airfield lighting system, street lighting system and traffic lighting.
- Must possess ability to climb poles.
- Must possess a working knowledge of the National Electric Safety Code and OSHA.
- May be required to perform technical inspections of electrical work accomplished by contractors or in-house personnel.
- Must be able to work outside in extreme environmental conditions such as cold, wind, snow and rain.
- Demonstrate ability to operate in a safe, journeyman manner and an ability to work well with other employees.
- Journeyman Lineman Certificate of Fitness from State of Alaska Upon Hire Required
- Class B CDL License issued by State of Alaska Upon Hire Required
Reasonable AccommodationDoyon Utilities will provide reasonable accommodations, according to applicable state and federal laws, to all qualified individuals with physical or mental disabilities. Accommodation requests should be made, in writing to the Human Resources Department.EEO We are an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin, disability, veteran status, and other protected characteristics. Know Your Rights (eeoc.gov) For questions on the job posting contact 907-455-1500. Physical DemandsThe physical requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Standing - Constantly
- Walking - Constantly
- Sitting - Occasionally
- Lifting - Constantly
- Carrying - Constantly
- Pushing - Constantly
- Pulling - Constantly
- Climbing - Constantly
- Balancing - Constantly
- Stooping - Constantly
- Kneeling - Constantly
- Crouching - Constantly
- Crawling - Frequently
- Reaching - Constantly
- Handling - Constantly
- Grasping - Constantly
- Feeling - Constantly
- Talking - Frequently
- Hearing - Frequently
- Repetitive Motions - Constantly
- Eye/Hand/Foot Coordination - Constantly
- Extreme cold - Occasionally
- Extreme heat - Occasionally
- Humidity - Occasionally
- Wet - Occasionally
- Noise - Frequently
- Hazards - Frequently
- Temperature Change - Occasionally
- Atmospheric Conditions - Occasionally
- Vibration - Frequently
Doyon Utilities is committed to delivering safe and resilient utility services with an emphasis on reliability and efficiency. Our employees are committed professionals in their fields and passionate about what they do and the customers they serve: the United States Military. Inherent in our mission is modernizing facilities; employing best utility practices that reflect leading industry standards; and operating as vigilant stewards of the environment while ensuring the health and safety of our workforce and our customers.