Global Preparedness Lead * Work from home
American Red Cross
Please use Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox when accessing Candidate Home.
By joining the American Red Cross you will touch millions of lives every year and experience the greatness of the human spirit at its best. Are you ready to be part of the world's largest humanitarian network?
Join us—Where your Career is a Force for Good!
WHY CHOOSE US?
As one of the nation’s premier humanitarian organizations, the American Red Cross is dedicated to helping people in need throughout the United States and, in association with other Red Cross networks, throughout the world. When you join our team, you have a direct impact on a meaningful mission, and you can help save lives every day. If you share our passion for helping people, join us in this excellent career opportunity. Work where your career is a force for good.
We are committed to the diversity of our workforce and to delivering our programs and services in a culturally competent manner reflecting the communities we serve. Our work environment is collaborative, respectful, and inclusive with a focus on building allyship and a culture of belonging that empowers all team members. Come to learn, grow, and succeed while sharing your passion for making a difference.
The Red Cross supports a variety of cultural and community resource groups for employees and volunteers. From the Ability Network, our Asian American & Pacific Islander Resource Group, the Latino Resource Group, and Red Cross PRIDE, to the Umoja African American Resource Group, our Veterans+ Resource Group, and the Women’s Resource Group, these networks provide connections, mentoring and help give voice to important concerns and opinions.
At the American Red Cross, your uniqueness can shine!
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW (Job Overview):
The Global Preparedness Lead is situated within the American Red Cross’s Climate and Disaster Preparedness division and will help oversee the technical program quality of American Red Cross’s disaster preparedness programs and activities overseas. Specific responsibilities will include supporting the planning, design, and implementation of community preparedness, institutional preparedness, organizational development, and disaster risk reduction activities; ensuring the integration of Protection, Gender, and Inclusion (PGI) principles in preparedness technical program design and implementation; reinforcing two-way community feedback mechanisms and enhancing adaptive program management based on learning and feedback from communities; providing support and leadership guidance to Division staff and volunteers, AmCross NHQ, National Societies Partners, International Federation of Red Cross (IFRC) and International Committee of Red Cross (ICRC), and other key stakeholders; and supporting global initiatives as part of the Red Cross Red Crescent movement.
WHERE YOUR CAREER IS A FORCE GOOD (Key Responsibilities):
- Support the planning, technical design, and implementation of disaster preparedness programs, including the integration of Protection, Gender, and Inclusion (PGI) minimum standards.
- Provide technical input and guidance on community and institutional preparedness projects to national societies, and key partners, including IFRC and ICRC.
- Conduct field visits to ensure quality assurance and evaluation of institutional and community preparedness activities, including the establishment and active functioning of two-way community feedback mechanisms.
- Help ensure contextual analyses are integrated into implementation as part of adaptive management.
- Collaborate with country delegations to conceive, design, and develop projects and programs through participatory planning and systems analyses.
- Contribute to or lead writing on Disaster and Preparedness/Disasters Risk Reduction related concept notes and proposals.
- Support and socialize the new approaches from American Red Cross (AmCross) related to Localization, Climate Change, PGI, Migration/Displacement, Community Engagement, and other related duties, as assigned.
- Further AmRC’s commitment to localization of humanitarian action through community preparedness and national society development.
- Help identify new trends in Disaster Preparedness/ Disasters Risk Reduction, linking with other Red Cross Red Crescent/IFRC and humanitarian actors.
- Keep country offices updated on relevant tools, resources, guidance documents, and trends, and support efforts to plan future programs and strategies.
- Support and facilitate coalition building around broader Movement preparedness initiatives.
- Support internal and external coordination among relevant parties related to institutional preparedness
- Build internal capacity for community and institutional preparedness, including CEA and PGI mainstreaming, by supporting capacity mapping, training, and the dissemination of the latest guidance and resources from AmCross.
- Support AmCross efforts to strategically bridge various institutional preparedness themes.
- Support the development of preparedness guidance as needed.
- Help incorporate measurement approaches to capture knowledge transfer; behavior change and impact across projects and programs.
- Collaborate with AmCross International Services Departments (ISD), the response team and their Readiness to Respond to priorities, and the Recovery team and their institutional recovery strategies
- May develop fiscal and program reports for management review, including the identification of resource/budget priorities based on capacity gaps and mapping assessments.
- Design and facilitate workshops as needed
- Prepare presentations, reports, and other program-related materials as needed.
WHAT WILL GIVE YOU THE COMPETITIVE EDGE (Preferred Qualifications):
- Bachelor's degree required in International Affairs, Disaster Management/DRR, Humanitarian Assistance, or related fields.
- Project Management degree and implementation in humanitarian actions preferred.
- Fluently spoken and written English is required/Spanish is strongly preferred.
- Minimum of 7 years of experience in disaster risk reduction, resilience, disaster preparedness, and/or disaster response
- Experience with incorporating Protection, Gender, and Inclusion (PGI) in community-based programs and projects.
- Experience integrating community engagement and accountability approaches in community programs and projects.
- Experience working and leading in a matrixed management structure
- Experience working with local/national partners
- Experience and knowledge of Project Management and the project management cycle, including project design, launch, implementation, monitoring, evaluation, and learning
- Experience delivering community-based programs (required); experience working at a technical level (tools, analysis, evaluations, trainings).
- Strong understanding of different methods of monitoring and evaluation including new technology-based approaches.
- Experience working with or for the Red Cross or similar humanitarian NGO
- Experience in proposal writing, project design, and other fundraising methodologies
Management Experience: N/a
Skills & Abilities:
- Demonstrated experience integrating innovative approaches to solving humanitarian challenges.
- Must have excellent interpersonal and diplomacy skills and the ability to work effectively with people from a wide range of backgrounds and cultures.
- Must be able to work and problem-solve independently, meet multiple deadlines, and interface with a broad spectrum of Nationals Head Quarters, Divisional, and country staff.
- Must be flexible and willing to participate in conference calls outside of regular business hours, work remotely and travel if needed.
- Experience working with and within the Red Cross/Red Crescent network is preferred.
- Must be responsible and self-motivated. Candidate must have strong verbal and written communication skills and must demonstrate familiarity with evolving industry standards.
- Ability to work on a team.
- Combination of candidate’s education and general experience satisfies requirements so long as the total years equate to the description’s minimum education and general experience years combined (Management experience cannot be substituted).
Travel: Ability to travel internationally up: 30-50%
Combination of candidate’s education and general experience satisfies requirements so long as the total years equate to description’s minimum education and general experience years combined
(Management experience cannot be substituted).
BENEFITS FOR YOU:
We take care of you, while you take care of others. As a mission-based organization, we believe our team needs great support to do great work. Our comprehensive benefits help you in balancing home and work. With our resources and perks, you have amazing possibilities at the American Red Cross to advance the learn.
• Medical, Dental Vision plans
• Health Spending Accounts & Flexible Spending Accounts
• PTO + Holidays
• 401K with 4% match
• Paid Family Leave
• Employee Assistance
• Disability and Insurance: Short + Long Term
• Service Awards and recognition
The salary range for this position is: $80,000 - $90,000
Note that the American Red Cross sets salary ranges aligned to a specific geographic location in which the job or employee resides. The stated salary range in this posting is an average and may not be reflective of your individual circumstances. We will review specific salary information at the time of phone screening based upon your location.
The American Red Cross is a diverse nonprofit organization that creates a culture of collaboration and team spirit. We offer our employee’s a competitive salary, wide range of generous benefits including health, dental, vision, life and disability insurance; flexible spending accounts; 401K retirement plan with match; paid time off, holidays and floating holidays. Also, we encourage professional development and provide growth opportunities. To be considered for this position, please visit www.redcross.org/jobs to apply.
Apply now! Joining our team will provide you with the opportunity to make a difference every day.
The American Red Cross is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Interested in Volunteering?
Life’s emergencies don’t stop, and neither do American Red Cross volunteers, who represent more than 90 percent of our workforce to help prevent and alleviate human suffering. You can make a difference by volunteering in a position that appeals to you and allows you to use your unique skills and talents. The Red Cross relies on generous volunteers who give their time and talent to help fulfill our lifesaving mission.
Visit redcross.org/volunteertoday to learn more, including our most-needed volunteer positions.
To view the EEOC Summary of Rights, click here: Summary of RightsID:uDnQdo