Schnitzer Steel Billings
The Ground Person reports to the Stockpiling Supervisor, the JP Operations Supervisor, or the Terminal Operations Manager. The Ground Person is responsible for general physical labor within the scrap yard while ensuring that all of his/her efforts are compliant with the company Health, Safety, and Environmental standards. Duties may include utilization of hand and power tools, yard clean up and maintenance, and assisting other personnel through the yard. The Ground Person should possess knowledge of machines and tools including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
This position operates under flexible parameters. The primary goal of this position is to achieve excellence in all facets of the position. Providing the highest quality product safely, effectively and efficiently decreases accidents and errors and increase profits.
Environmental and Health & Safety (H&S)
- Strictly adheres to all Metals Recycling Business Health, Safety, and Environmental standards.
- Provides a safe environment for all employees, customers and visitors.
Operational Performance & Best Business Practices
- Read plans, instructions, or specifications to determine work activities.
- Work with equipment operators to facilitate alignment, movement, or adjustment of machinery, equipment, or materials.
- Load, unload, or identify materials, machinery, or tools, and distribute to the appropriate locations, according to specifications.
- Provide backup or assistance throughout the yard as needed or assigned.
Equipment & Maintenance
- Report all equipment deficiencies or malfunctions requiring maintenance or repair to the proper supervisor.
Internal Control Responsibilities
- Supports the Company's Internal Control process which includes understanding, communicating, and complying with defined internal controls as well as suggesting and making modifications to the policies, procedures, and controls to better relate to the business.
- This position is regularly exposed to all weather conditions. Physical hazards such as noise, fumes, and dirt are present due to the equipment, machinery, and scrap as would be found throughout the scrap yard. Safety shoes, hearing protection, respirators, face shields, and additional personal protective equipment as needed, must be worn to eliminate the risks associated with these hazards. Travel is not required for this position.
- Handling multiple issues regarding safety and maintenance increases pressure. Work load may be unpredictable and pressure can be substantial during peak times. Critical deadlines require considerable adaptability. Disturbances of work flow and/or irregularities in work schedule are expected and occur on an intermittent basis. Extra hours may be required, sometimes on weekends, weekdays, and holidays.
Physical Activities Required to Perform Essential Functions
- Ability to: sit rarely; stand and walk frequently on uneven ground and throughout the yard; lift and carry up to 50 pounds consistently; push and pull occasionally when moving materials; crouch or bend at the knees consistently to move or access materials or equipment; stoop or bend at the waist consistently to move materials; reach at arms length and overhead frequently; twist and turn at the neck and trunk continually; climb occasionally when obtaining items; manual dexterity required as Groundman will handle, grasp, and manipulate materials constantly; arm-hand steadiness required constantly for precision work; communicate by speech and hearing continually. Visual acuity needed for close detail work. Mental dexterity needed as Groundman will work independently while demonstrating attention to detail and continuous awareness.
- High School diploma, GED Certification, or equivalent experience in a similar role preferred.
PLEASE NOTE: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required.
All U.S. applicants must be 18 years of age or older and all Canada applicants must be 16 years of age or older.
Radius Recycling participates in e-verify for all U.S. new hires.
An offer of U.S. employment by Radius Recycling or any of its subsidiaries is contingent on the satisfactory completion of a post-offer drug screen and background check.
All new hires must review and sign an Arbitration Agreement. This applies to all U.S. non-union employees.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, Radius Recycling does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, marital status, disability status, national origin or ancestry, veteran status, age, prior industrial injury, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other protected status under local, state or federal law.