Installation Superintendent – Santa Clara, CA
Santa Clara, CA
What part will you play?
The Installation Superintendent is responsible for performing a wide variety of installation duties on technology projects for our clients. This position is the key field position for on-site direction of work and the actual work that gets done in our clients’ buildings. The Installation Superintendent needs to coordinate closely with project management, building contractors and others to manage all on-site installation activity. This position is a combination of Senior Install Tech and On-site Project Manager focused on the installation activity on the job site.
This position does not directly manage personnel, (direct reports) but does manage the installation projects and ensures the installation occurs on time with no interruptions. This position is key in working with project managers and installation staff to resolve roadblocks for successful completion. This position is also responsible for ensuring the highest quality of installation work. Although this position can do some actual install work it is mostly focused on the site management functions listed.
What will you be doing?
- Possesses all skills from Senior Install Tech position to drive successful completion, quality control and achieve goals
- Oversee all on-site activity on the active project job site and address any issues necessary to achieve quality and timeline standards
- Leads and delegates tasks to multiple install crews, subcontractors and union trades. Will be required to regularly lead a team on large projects
- Oversee all field operations and report progress, status and issues to project manager
- Supervises the physical installation of a wide variety of technology into a wide variety of locations
- Maintains all quality control on jobsite, checking all work from employees, subcontractors and union trades. Managing any discrepancies in our standards
- Able to read and understand functional design drawings and cable riser diagrams
- Provide a consistent level of technical performance as well as flexibility in work schedule. This position requires periodic overtime, weekends and may require overtime for extended periods to meet deadlines
- Able to complete assignments in accordance with or better than established task durations as well as estimate task durations to meet assigned deadlines. Provides daily feedback to Project Manager
- Able to build and wire custom panels from engineering drawings
- Advanced Fiber optic cable handling, installation termination and testing
- Provide training and assistance to on-site install techs
- Responsible for tracking and maintaining toolkits, job material boxes, company vehicles and materials inventories. Keep clean, orderly and well documented
- Responsible for tracking and maintaining their personal licenses, certifications and qualifications. (Some states have specific requirement in this area)
- Maintain daily record of time worked on specific projects for timesheet entry. Maintain an activity log and a personnel log for skills to report on recommended improvements.
This level of technician will be responsible for performing tasks on clients’ jobsites with no supervision. This position is responsible for the coordination with clients, contractors and subcontractors. This position will be the key and only field superintendent in many situations and will be responsible for delegating work, monitoring others work and communicating with key stakeholders on behalf of the PM. Requires maintaining quality control on all field work. This position requires the highest level of technical and people skills along with great communication skills.
Decision Making Authority:
This position is often alone on the job sites and requires making good judgement about decisions that need to be made. In general, the project manager and a site supervisor are available to answer questions, but this position is very independent and will be looked upon to make many onsite decisions on behalf of the PM. This position requires good diplomacy inworking with our clients and other key stakeholders on the job sites.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that may be met by an employee. The employee may be exposed to construction site conditions on a regular basis. Employee will be responsible for their safety while on job sites and to comply with all safety regulations in place by the GC. Use of PPE is usually required on job sites. The employee can typically spend at least 60% of their time on their feet and be required to be mobile around the construction site. The employee must have the ability to occasionally climb ladders, use stairs and lift and/or move materials up to 40 pounds in construction areas.
The individual is regularly required to use keyboards, test equipment and controls required for SI installation projects. Specific vision abilities required for this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision and depth vision. When not on construction sites, the employee will experience normal office conditions and be required to use office equipment such as computers, peripherals, etc.
Frequent travel by car and occasional airplane trips are required. Employee must possess a valid driver’s license in their state of residence. Employee will be required to use their own vehicle and will be reimbursed for mileage at the current corporate rate. Local travel to job sites (within a 2-hour driving distance each way) will make up 70-90% usually but remote travel can be up to 30% of the job at times. 10% remote travel is required on a regular basis. Occasional travel by airplane for out-of-town projects is required.
- Maintain and wear appropriate PPE as the job and tasks require it.
- Ensure hazards are addressed and rectified in a timely manner.
What do we require from you?
- High school or equivalent experience
- AVIXA CTS Certification is required
- AVIXA CTS-I Certification is highly encouraged
- Five or more years as an installation technician or related industry experience
- Must have a valid driver’s license and adhere to our insurance requirements
- OSHA 30 Certificate required.
- Other relevant certifications may be required or preferred based on the technology focus of the position.
Required/Desired Knowledge, Experience and Skills:
- Familiarity with a wide range of audio, video and networking equipment
- Knowledgeable of low voltage electrical concepts
- Possess advanced AV installation skills
- Good verbal communication skills and good customer service skills
- Ability to diagnose, troubleshoot and resolve technical problems
Diversified is an equal employment opportunity employer and all aspects of employment will be based on job requirements, individual qualifications, merit, performance and business needs. We provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, age, disability or genetic information, or any other applicable characteristic protected under federal, state or local law. We celebrate diversity and encourage people of all backgrounds to apply for available positions. Individuals needing assistance or an accommodation to complete an application due to a disability, may contact Human Resources at 800.811.2771.