Intern Health & Safety
Who we are
For more than 40 years, Covanta has been at the forefront of sustainable materials management, providing companies and communities world-class waste and resource solutions.
Through our diverse and scalable full-service capabilities, we’re leading the charge to a carbon-negative future—reducing, reusing, recycling and reimagining waste for the benefit of both people and planet.
Our differentiator comes from our vast ecosystem of technology, facilities, and partnerships, trusted by the world’s largest organizations to solve their most pressing environmental challenges, and achieve their most ambitious environmental, social, and governance (ESG) goals.
All that we’re missing is you. Join us today!!
Diversity, inclusivity, engagement—these are the values that help us foster a strong sense of community within Covanta. By embracing the unique talents, perspectives, and experiences of our employees, we cultivate an environment that embraces teamwork, encourages open dialogue, and provides opportunities for growth.
Our mission is to build a safer, cleaner, more prosperous world by ensuring no waste is ever wasted.
Covanta is a global leader in providing sustainable waste solutions. The company’s modern facilities convert waste from municipalities and businesses into clean, renewable electricity. In addition, through a vast network of treatment and recycling facilities, Covanta specializes in waste to energy (“WTE”), a vital component of the modern waste stream that diverts waste from landfills and therefore avoids significant greenhouse gas emissions.
As a Covanta intern, you will work on projects that have a real impact on sustainability. Here’s an opportunity to support those efforts through Health & Safety (H&S) and not only creating a great company culture for our workforce, but also doing good for the planet.
What You'll Do:
- Own one or more H&S project over the course of your summer internship that will drive improvement with site safety
- Be a part of our Midwest H&S team made up of 12 individuals, providing recommendations for improvements with site safety by developing programs through data analysis, team discussions, and site visits
- Learn the business and get exposure to the work we do
Who You Are:
- Current student pursuing your Master’s in Environment, Health, and Safety, Industrial Hygiene, or related field
- Positive, motivated self-starter who can take an assignment and run with it
- Strong communicator who can work in teams and build good relationships with a high degree of personal integrity and work ethic
- A leader as shown through your school/community involvement
- Willing to work onsite in Chicago’s West Loop, as well as periodic travel to sites in the region over the course of the program
About Covanta’s Internship Program:
During your internship, you can expect to:
- Work closely with the Midwest Region H&S Leader and have access to our Midwest Region President, all in our West Loop Chicago Office
- Gain valuable experience in H&S
- Connect with our Morristown, NJ Corporate H&S team
- Participate in leadership talks, skill building workshops, facility tours, and networking events with fellow interns
2024 Internship Start Dates (with flexibility as needed):
- May 28, 2024
- June 10, 2024
Competitive hourly rates
Relo/Housing assistance as needed
Covanta is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status.
EOE AA M/F/Protected Veteran Status/Disability EEO is the Law Poster (The poster can be found at https://www.dol.gov/sites/dolgov/files/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf). Level, Title and/or Salary may be adjusted based on the applicant's experience or skills.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you may request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to access job openings or apply for a job on this site as a result of your disability. You can request reasonable accommodations by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org.ID:uDnQdo