Lab Technician – Granite City, IL
Granite City, IL
Prairie Farms Dairy is a farmer-owned dairy cooperative. Founded in 1938, Prairie Farms manufactures and distributes a complete line of fluid milk and dairy products throughout the Midwest. Our products are available in grocery chains, mass merchandiser, club stores, convenience stores, dollar stores, drug stores, schools, food service outlets and warehouse distribution centers. We have an opening in our Quality Assurance Department for a Laboratory Technician in our Granite City, Illinois facility. This position reports to the Laboratory Supervisor.
The Laboratory Technician will be responsible for testing both raw and processed fluid milk and soft serve ice cream products and operating the most modern testing equipment the industry has to offer. Applicants must be able to communicate and work well with other team members.
This is a full-time position (40 hours per week/8 hour shifts.)
Hours: Afternoon 2pm - 10pm
Comprehensive training will be provided, including GMP, HACCP and Allergen.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Operate milk laboratory equipment, including but not limited to the following: Foss FT1 component analyzer, Celsis Innovate CellScan analyzer, pH meter, autoclave, refractometer, analytical scales, incubators, 3M petrifilm, etc.
- Perform approved testing methods for rapid screening of detection of antibiotics and allergens
- Perform analytical testing for components of dairy products
- Monitor weight control of finished items
- Perform Celsis, ATP bioluminescence rapid assay, microbial screening test for ultra-heat treated (UHT) and extended shelf life (ESL) products prior to release for shipment and shelf-life duration.
- Perform calibration techniques on laboratory equipment
- Prepare Bills of Lading for outgoing product loads
- Prepare mix formulations for daily production needs
- Ability to recognize and identify both technical and instrumental problems and present solutions
- Navigation of software programs specific to the dairy industry
- Keen observation to any deviations from company specifications and alert management in a timely manner
- Solid planning and organizational skills, detail orientation and the ability to manage multiple projects in a timely manner with limited direct supervision
- Compliance with GMP, Safety and Work Policies
- Other duties may be assigned
- Minimum: Bachelor's degree in a Laboratory Science related field (Biology, Chemistry, Food Sciences) from an accredited university or college
- Intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and other technology-based programs related to the position
- Physical demands may include: standing, walking, stooping, reaching, climbing, kneeling, lifting, carrying, pushing, pulling or otherwise moving objects weighing up to 50lbs.
- Self-Starter with the ability to work independently; good time management skills, flexibility to take on additional tasks as necessary.
- Must be organized and detail oriented; excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to maintain flexible hours, including weekends and holidays
- Three-month probationary period
Prairie Farms Dairy is an Equal Opportunity Employer