Launch Tooling Mechanical Engineer
Blue Origin, LLC
Space Coast, FL
We are a diverse team of collaborators, doers, and problem-solvers who are relentlessly committed to a culture of safety. This position will directly impact the history of space exploration and will require your commitment and detailed attention towards safe and repeatable space flight. Join us in lowering the cost of access to space and enabling Blue Origin’s vision of millions of people living and working in space to benefit Earth.
As part of a diverse and hardworking team of engineers you will develop ground support equipment, jigs, and access platforms used to successfully launch, recover, and refurbish the New Glenn launch vehicle. You will share in the team’s impact on all aspects of the successful launch vehicle, payload, recovery, and 1st stage refurbishment processing during mission operations. You will create conceptual and detailed tooling designs. For some large and sophisticated systems, you will coordinate with and oversee suppliers' execution of contracts including tool delivery and commissioning. As a detail-oriented engineer, you will prepare and maintain the documentation required for building, servicing, and using the tools you introduce, and ensure that configuration management is established. Finally, you will collaborate with and train operation teams through the successful use of finished products.
We are looking for someone to apply their technical expertise, leadership skills, and commitment to quality to positively impact safe human spaceflight. Passion for our mission and vision is required!
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree in Mechanical, Civil, Aerospace or Aeronautical Engineering
- Experience working on projects that involve the integration of electrical, hydraulic fluids or fluid power, mechanical, and software systems
- Mechanical Design experience using CAD and FEA-based analysis software
- Ability to create fabrication and assembly drawings
- Ability to travel periodically
- Ability to earn trust, maintain positive and professional relationships, and contribute to a culture of inclusion
- Must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum
- 5+ years’ experience developing manufacturing tooling or ground support equipment
- Experience managing suppliers during design, procurement and build cycles of tooling and related components
- Experience developing procedures for testing, checkout, commissioning, and preventative maintenance of equipment & tooling
- Experience with PTC Creo / CATIA / Windchill
- Experience with hazardous electrical classifications (i.e. NEC article 500, IECex, ATEX)
- Experience with designing, building, and commissioning Aviation GSE support equipment (ISO 6966)
- Experience designing, building and commissioning GSE for handling, shipping and transporting vehicles
- Familiar with ASME standards, such as ASME Y14.100, Y14.5, Y14.41
- Strong background in marine structural design and marine systems
- Strong background in OSHA requirements for access platforms
Don’t meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that some people are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single desired qualification. At Blue Origin, we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles
Export Control Regulations
Applicants for employment at Blue Origin must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (i.e. current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Blue Origin is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and is committed to attracting, retaining, and developing a highly qualified, diverse, and dedicated work force. Blue Origin hires and promotes people on the basis of their qualifications, performance, and abilities. We support the establishment and maintenance of a workplace that fosters trust, equality, and teamwork, in which all employees recognize and appreciate the diversity of individual team members. We provide all qualified applicants for employment and employees with equal opportunities for hire, promotion, and other terms and conditions of employment, regardless of their race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin/ethnicity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic factors, military/veteran status, or any other status or characteristic protected by federal, state, and/or local law. Blue Origin will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state, and local laws. For more information on “EEO Is the Law,” please see here and here.
Blue Origin will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Washington Fair Chance Act, Los Angeles Fair Chance in Hiring Ordinance, and other applicable laws.
Affirmative Action and Disability Accommodation
Applicants wishing to receive information on Blue Origin’s Affirmative Action Plans, or applicants requiring a reasonable accommodation in order to participate in the application and/or interview process, please contact us at EEOCompliance@blueorigin.com.
Employee Benefits include: Medical, dental, vision, basic and supplemental life insurance, paid parental leave (must be employed at time of birth or adoption), short and long-term disability, 401(k) with a company match of up to 5%, and an Education Support Program available after 1 year of service.
Paid Time Off: Up to four (4) weeks per year based on weekly scheduled hours, and up to 14 company-paid holidays for all regular employees (including part-time), fixed-term, and interns.
Discretionary bonus: Employees may be eligible for discretionary bonuses in addition to base pay. Bonuses are designed to reward individual contributions as well as allow employees to share in company results.ID:uDnQdo