Laurel-Railcar Repair Tech (Rail)
Union Tank Car Company
Come join a team where People make the difference! As a part of Marmon Holdings, Inc., a highly decentralized organization, we rely heavily on people with the aptitude, attitude, and entrepreneurial spirit to drive our success, and we're committed to attracting and retaining top talent.Performs emergency repair, preventative maintenance and installation on a 24/7 on-call basis with regional responsibility for electrical and/or mechanical equipment and systems. Performs on-site preventative maintenance, routine repair, and calibration after installation. Provides technical support and training to customers on operational or maintenance aspects of system equipment. Serves as customer contact on technical and service-related problems. Works under direct supervision and follows detailed guidelines to work on moderately complex repairs and installations. Typically requires 2 years of formal technical training beyond high school and 1-2 years related experience. Individuals at this level are still acquiring skills and knowledge of the products being serviced and/or the testing and calibration equipment being used.
Union Tank Car Company is seeking qualified welders at our full-service rail tank car repair shop. The Company’s regulatory, engineering and commercial expertise make UTLX the preferred source of railcars and services for many of its customers. Owned by the Marmon Group and Berkshire Hathaway, UTLX headquarters is in Chicago’s financial district, close to major public transportation hubs. UTLX offers competitive compensation and benefits as well as an opportunity to be a part of a top-notch team where enthusiasm, expertise, growth, and progressive thinking are valued.
Primary Job Functions
This is not an exhaustive list and employees in these classifications frequently may be required to perform additional duties. Not all classifications will be required to perform all job functions.
- Welds components related to tank cars including tanks, bolsters, underframes, side sills, etc.
- Performs welded repairs by utilizing air arc cutting torch and stick or wire welding equipment.
- Uses hand tools and equipment to chip and grind weld, slag or spatter.
- Repairs, straightens, removes, reworks car parts, brakes, underframes, center plates, gears, couplers, valves, etc. using various hand and power tools.
- Performs welding and mechanical repairs to tank and hopper cars when required.
- Maintains work area in a neat and orderly manner and reports potential hazards.
Knowledge and Skills Required
- Must pass the applicable welding test as prescribed by the company
- Have a High School Diploma or GED
- Demonstrate job-related knowledge; for example, follow instructions on a document, be able to read a ruler
- Dependable and reliable to show up for scheduled work shifts including overtime.
- Welding experience or education is preferred
Environmental and Working Conditions
- Moderate to heavy physical effort involved. Lifts and carries necessary equipment to car to perform operation. Climbs, walks, and balances on top of car while welding.
- Possibility of exposure to x-ray radiation hazards.
- Must follow prescribed safety rules to avoid possible injury.
- Uses hand tools and equipment to chip and grind off excess weld slag or spatter.
Why Join Our Team?
We take pride in offering our employees rich benefits packages. We appreciate hard-working and passionate individuals which is why we offer...
- Tuition reimbursement program
- Medical, dental, vision
- Company-paid employee and dependent life insurance
- Company-paid sickness and accident income
- 401k matching and pension
- Annual safety shoe reimbursement and prescription safety wear
- Holiday pay
- Marmon employee discount program
Legally can work in US now & future without sponsorship (preferred)
We are an equal opportunity workplace (EEOC)
Following receipt of a conditional offer of employment, candidates will be required to submit to a pre-employment drug screen and a criminal background check as permitted or required by applicable law.
We are an equal opportunity employer, and all applicants will be considered for employment without attention to their membership in any protected class. If you require any reasonable accommodation to complete your application or any part of the recruiting process, please email your request to email@example.com, and please be sure to include the title and the location of the position for which you are applying.