Lead Process Engineer
Job Description and QualificationsAir Products and Chemicals, Inc., a Fortune 500 manufacturer of industrial gases, has an immediate opening for a Lead Process Engineer for our offices in Houston, TX, or Allentown, PA.
The successful candidate will work in the North America Process Engineering team. We are primarily responsible for the process design and execution of large air separation units, hydrocarbon processing plants, liquid H2, helium production and liquefaction, CO/Syngas and large-scale steam methane reformers. The technologies supported are split between both high temperature processes and cryogenic processes.
Our team executes designs that span all Industrial Gases for the varying markets that Air Products serves. We support both Product Teams (Process Gas and ASU) in development of new products as well as executing mature technology offerings.
We also support our internal customers: Americas Operations, Equipment Sales and Plant Support (ESPS) and the Pipeline group.
The successful candidate will assume a Lead Process engineering role providing guidance to team members, check/approve calculations/deliverables as well as performing tasks listed below.
The successful candidate may be asked to support work in our other engineering offices in Hersham (UK), Shanghai (China), and Pune/Vadodara (India).
Principal Accountabilities / Responsibilities:
- Support the Product Teams in synthesis, selection and evaluation of process cycles for optimum plant OPEX and CAPEX.
- Generate/refine Heat & Material Balances (HMBs) using ASPEN+ process simulator
- Develop/refine plant Process Flow Diagrams (PFDs)
- Perform detailed equipment design calculations and specifications for hydrogenation/de-sulfurization, pre-reformer, shift reactors, catalyst specification, cooling train exchangers, steam system, CO2 removal, and potentially CO2 capture (typical deliverables for HyCO plant designs)
- Perform detailed equipment design calculations and specifications for front-end adsorption purification systems, cryogenic heat exchangers, and distillation columns for engineer-to-order opportunities (typical deliverables for cryogenic plant designs)
- Perform/refine calculations and write duty specifications for machinery, vessels, control valves, relief devices, and other instruments
- Support P&ID development, operability reviews and hazard reviews
- Support model reviews, complete coldbox inspections
- Interface with third party SMR equipment supplier
- Support plant start-up and lead plant performance testing
- Support Operations and ESPS with evaluations, calculations, studies as requested
- Domestic and international travel to customer locations and to plant sites is expected about 15 percent of the time.
To be successful as part of the North America Process Engineering team, candidates must:
- Be self-motivated and have good interpersonal and communication skills
- Support a variety of projects within budgeted hours and to schedule
- Have a strong understanding of thermodynamics and be able to adapt knowledge to new applications
- Develop a working relationship with The Product Line Teams as well as other groups within the Central Engineering Teams (Controls, Systems, Machinery, etc.)
- Have good commercial and fiscal awareness and actively seek lowest cost alternatives
- Motivate and supervise less experienced engineers
- B.S., M.S., or Ph.D. in Chemical Engineering (preferred) or Mechanical Engineering
- 15+ years prior experience in Process, Operations, Process Systems, or Controls is preferred
- Detailed knowledge of one or more of the following technologies preferred: Syngas generation (Steam Methane Reformers, Auto Thermal Reforms, Partial Oxidation Reactors), Cryogenic Distillation, Air Separation Technology, Ammonia Production, Methanal, Helium Liquefiers, Hydrogen Liquefiers, Electrolysis, PSA Technology, Amine Systems, Gasification, CO2 Capture/purification
- For this immediate need, detailed knowledge of HyCO technologies (SMR, ATR, POX) is preferred
At Air Products, we work in an environment where diversity is essential, inclusion is our culture, and each person knows they belong and matter. To learn more, visit About Air Products.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package including paid holidays and vacation, affordable medical, dental, life insurance and retirement plans. You will be eligible for benefits and also be 100% vested in your retirement benefits on your first day of employment.
Air Products thanks all applicants in advance for their interest; however, only those applicants who are being considered for an interview, or are currently employed by Air Products, will be contacted.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer (U.S.). You will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, citizenship, gender, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, disability, or veteran status.