Locomotive Maintenance Materials Technical Advisor (MTA) – Kansas City, KS
Kansas City, KS
Wabtec Corporation is a leading global provider of equipment, systems, digital solutions and value-added services for freight and transit rail. Drawing on nearly four centuries of collective experience across Wabtec, GE Transportation and Faiveley Transport, the company has unmatched digital expertise, technological innovation, and world-class manufacturing and services, enabling the digital-rail-and-transit ecosystems. Wabtec is focused on performance that drives progress, creating transportation solutions that move and improve the world. Wabtec has approximately 27,000 employees in facilities throughout the world. Visit the company’s new website at: http://www.WabtecCorp.com.
It’s not just about your career… or your job title…it’s about who you are and the impact you are going to make on the world. Do you want to go into uncharted waters…do things that haven’t been done to make yours and someone else's life better? Wabtec has been doing that for decades and we will continue to do so! Through our people, leadership development, services, technology and scale, Wabtec delivers better outcomes for global customers by speaking the language of industry.
Locomotive Maintenance Materials/Technical Advisor (MTA) – Kansas City, KS
It’s not just about your career or job title… It’s about who you are and the impact you will make on the world. Because whether it’s for each other or our customers, we put People First. When our people come together, we Expand the Possible and continuously look for ways to improve what we create and how we do it. If you are constantly striving to grow, you’re in good company. We are revolutionizing the way the world moves for future generations, and we want someone who is ready to move with us.
Who are we?
Wabtec Corporation is a leading global provider of equipment, systems, digital solutions, and value-added services for freight and transit rail as well as the mining, marine, and industrial markets. Drawing on nearly four centuries of collective experience across Wabtec, GE Transportation, and Faiveley Transport, the company has grown to become One Wabtec, with unmatched digital expertise, technological innovation, and world-class manufacturing and services, enabling the digital-rail-and-transit ecosystems.
Wabtec is focused on performance that drives progress and unlocks our customers’ potential by delivering innovative and lasting transportation solutions that move and improve the world. We are lifelong learners obsessed with making things better to drive exceptional results. Wabtec has approximately 27K employees in facilities throughout the world. Visit our website to learn more!
Who will you be working with?
As a member of Field Services Americas, you will be responsible for helping our customer (BNSF) maintain their fleet of GE/Wabtec locomotives through advising, informing, researching, and assisting their mechanical employees. You will be part of a team made up of Wabtec technical and materials experts, all working to ensure our customer’s fleet is running at optimal levels.
How will you make a difference?
The Locomotive Maintenance Materials Technical Advisor (MTA) is a hybrid position that combines the best of both worlds, between our technical advisory and materials management areas of expertise. Whether it’s managing critical inventory or advising on complex repairs, this position provides a full suite of service to our customers – the largest railroad operators in the United States.
Multiple levels of training and certification are available to our Locomotive Maintenance Technical Advisors, which provides them with multiple career opportunities within the company as their careers progress. With over 27,000 global employees, Wabtec provides rich career development and growth opportunities for our employees.
What do we want to know about you?
- Bachelor's Degree (Or a 2-year degree with 2 years of professional work experience, Or a High School Diploma / GED with a minimum of 4 years of Operations or Military leadership experience)
- Experience, willingness, and ability to work in shop environment and to work various shifts on various days as required, including having a flexible work schedule to perform auditing and training on various shifts.
- Proficiency in MS office applications
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal and leadership skills
- Validated analytical and quality improvement ability
- Ability to interface at all levels of the organization, both internally and externally
- The ability to maintain reliable and predictable attendance
- Ability to complete Wabtec Level 1 Technical Training within prescribed time (normally 18 months from hire date)
- A high level of dependability, a great attitude, and an ability to work well with a team towards achieving a common goal
Don’t have experience maintaining locomotives? That’s ok! We provide in-depth technical training to give our technical advisors the knowledge and expertise needed to be successful.
What will your typical day look like?
Technical Advisor (Locomotive Maintenance)
- Provide clear communication and technical guidance to railroad employees and management to include troubleshooting, material assistance, tooling and / or locomotive status, safety procedures, productivity and process improvements, and contract requirement clarification.
- Coordinate and provide instruction on key programs and procedures related to locomotive maintenance and modifications.
- Provide technical mentorship to teams, including troubleshooting, material handling, tooling, safety procedures, and contract requirement clarification
- Provide clear communication to employees, customer management, and Wabtec management on work to be performed, equipment status, efficiency, and process improvements.
- Partner with teams to promote, maintain, and drive continuous improvement in safe work practices while supervising productivity, quality assurance, and adherence to contract requirements
- Ensure compliance with all governmental regulations, OSHA work practices, and industry / site specific work rules
- Work with employees and management on establishing production plans for labor, material, and logistics
- Work with various software systems to run material, labor plans, and other systemic requirements
- Order material across multiple sites at full lead-time to match associated schedules
- Monitor on hand active and upcoming material to ensure material is available
- Assist in monitoring constrained or critically allocated material including daily monitoring of extremely low on hand material and attending regular calls to obtain parts needed for locomotives
- Engage supply chain on critical needs and communicate potential upcoming problem parts
- Process customer sales orders and resolve system errors so orders will generate in system correctly
- Work with all levels of personnel internally in resolving issues, tracking material availability, and advising on material usage. This includes analyzing duplicate usage, lost shipments, overages, missing material, troubleshooting oracle errors, helping track material discrepancy, and other items as needed and required.
- Coordinate with Ryder and Services Logistics Team on active projects to ensure data accuracy and process compliance
- Complete indirect purchasing for special projects
- Work with 3rd party shops to ensure inventory accuracy and core accuracy, as needed
- Communicate with suppliers regarding order status and changes in delivery dates or quantities
- Provide overall support on any material issue to find solutions to a wide array of complex problems
- All other job duties as assigned and required
What about the physical demands of the job?
- Standing for long periods of time
- Walking throughout the day
- Walking up and down stairs
- Climbing on/off of locomotives
- Observing small writing and labels
- Fitting into small or tight spaces if/when needed
- Wearing all required personal protective gear (hardhat, steel toe boots, ear plugs, eye protection) throughout the day
- Speaking and hearing
- Typing and operating a computer
- Working overnight shifts and multiple days in a row, as required
- You may also be asked to perform other duties outside of your function or trade, for which adequate training will be provided if necessary.
Relocation assistance may be provided if eligibility requirements are met.
Wabtec will only employ those who are legally authorized to work in the U.S. for this opening. Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a drug screen (as applicable) and fitness for duty test (as applicable).
Wabtec Corporation is committed to taking on the world’s toughest challenges. In order to fulfill that commitment we rely on a culture of leadership, diversity and inclusiveness. We aim to employ the world’s brightest minds to help us create a limitless source of ideas and opportunities. We believe in hiring talented people of varied backgrounds, experiences and styles…people like you! Wabtec Corporation is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or expression, or protected Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.ID:uDnQdo