Manager, Development – Mid-Atlantic Offshore Development [Remote]
EDF Renewable Energy, Inc.
San Diego, CA
Scope of Position
Mid-Atlantic Offshore Development (MAOD), LLC is a 50:50 joint venture between Shell New Energies US, LLC and EDF Renewables North America. The joint venture company was formed to respond to the PJM New Jersey Transmission RFP to meet New Jersey’s goal of facilitating delivery of 7,500 megawatts of offshore wind energy by 2035.
On October 26, 2022, the New Jersey Board of Public Utilities (NJ BPU) selected MAOD and Jersey Central Power & Light Company’s jointly submitted Larrabee Tri-Collector Solution for New Jersey’s inaugural offshore wind coordinated transmission solution under PJM’s State Agreement Approach (SAA).
A key component of the Tri-Collector Solution is the Larrabee Collector Station, referred to as the Project, that will be developed, constructed, and operated by MAOD. Project execution will incorporate coordination of development, commercial, and technical activities related with commercializing the primary point of interconnection into PJM for multiple offshore wind generators to-be awarded by the NJ BPU.
Primary stakeholders will include EDFR and Shell executive management teams, PJM, NJ BPU officials, FERC, local townships and landowners, external offshore generation commercial and management teams, potential financing providers, and major suppliers.
MAOD is a highly visible project among both shareholders and externally and will be commercialized through FERC regulated cost recovery within PJM.
Scope of Job
Within EDFR, this role reports to the Senior Manager/Director, Development - MAOD within the Strategic Development Initiatives Team. Within the context of the MAOD joint venture, this role will be accountable to the MAOD Development Lead, which is intended to be the same individual.
This role will be a key team member responsible for advancing development efforts of the highly visible Project. In addition, during the Development Phase of the MAOD Project, this role will support the Development Lead’s role as Phase Leader providing oversight and accountability to manage all aspects of execution of the overall Project. This would include development, permitting, technical/execution, regulatory, financial, budgeting and any other scope as determined by the Board of Directors. The Development Phase of the Project is anticipated to continue into 1H 2025 with ongoing development activities continuing during the Execution Phase to COD. The Project is anticipated to reach FID in 2025 and COD at the end of 2027.
Following the Project’s transition from Development to Execution, the candidate is anticipated to assume additional responsibilities within the EDFR organization focused on Transmission Business Development and/or renewable generation development.
- Work with internal and external teams to support overall development and manage workstreams for the development of MAOD’s Larrabee Collector Station and other selected asset development projects; apply strong project management fundamentals to transition selected asset project from concept through development to commercial operation.
- Oversight of local, state and/or federal environmental permitting processes. Utilization of support groups to identify construction-related issues, prior to obtaining a permits or other required entitlements.
- Participate in execution of relevant scope of work MAOD’s advisory teams, covering legal, financial, commercial, regulatory, and ratemaking third-party scope. Integrate advice into actionable development activities led by shareholder staff
- Participate in and manage the following agreements and commercial workstreams: commercial agreements with offshore generators utilizing MAOD real property for interconnection and converter infrastructure; interconnection agreements with PJM; PSA with relevant landowners to further secure MAOD footprint; ratemaking and registration agreements with FERC; any and all necessary project financing agreements for the JV.
- Support Development Lead in managing governance processes required to execute on Project, including development and amendment of required plans and budgets; support individual shareholder process for required approvals
- Prepare materials to facilitate Board Member briefings and decisions; lead analysis supporting Board initiatives and requests
- Develop and deliver communications and messaging to external stakeholders (Communicate and manage relationships with industry leaders, corporate partners, legal advisors, consultants, and other constituents), including personally interfacing with high levels of federal, state and local governments and regulatory agencies; this will require close coordination and collaboration with relevant stakeholders within shareholders.
- Bachelor’s degree in Economics, Finance, Business or a related development or technical field
- 5+ years professional experience demonstrating progressive project management success
- 3+ years energy experience required; familiarity with development, renewable energy, and transmission preferred
- Demonstrated capacity for analytical thinking; advanced problem-solving skills
- Commercial mindset with clear understanding of project development concepts
- Advanced communication and presentation skills; demonstrated ability to (i) break down new and complex topics, and (ii) communicate clear insights
- Ability to work both well independently and within broad, diverse teams, building relationships with other departments and stakeholders to accomplish objectives
- Highly organized and detail-oriented; able to both lead work streams and contribute in a supporting capacity
- Ability to cope with tight deadlines and high-stress work environment
- Demonstrated organizational and process management skills
- Advanced PowerPoint and Excel user, knowledge of other software a plus
90% of time is spent in the office environment, utilizing computers (frequent use of various Microsoft software/programs), phones, and general office equipment. 10% of time is spent outside of the office visiting vendors’ and/or internal customers’ sites in additional to attending various conferences and meetings.
This role’s annual base salary range is between $112,500 to $187,500.
EDF Renewables offers best-in-class employment incentives, including.
- Competitive Bonus incentives: This position is eligible for our annual bonus program
- Comprehensive Health Benefits: EDF Renewables US pays 100% of premiums for employee health benefits & provides low-cost coverage for eligible dependents
- Rewarding 401k Package: EDF Renewables provides a generous contribution with immediate vesting
We are also proud to offer:
- Favorable time off programs, including paid parental leave
- Rewarding Learning & Development Opportunities
- Personalized Financial 1:1 Coaching Workshops
- Supportive Mentorship & Buddy Programs