Manager, Systems Safety Engineering
Cedar Rapids, IA
Wabtec Corporation is a leading global provider of equipment, systems, digital solutions and value-added services for freight and transit rail. Drawing on nearly four centuries of collective experience across Wabtec, GE Transportation and Faiveley Transport, the company has unmatched digital expertise, technological innovation, and world-class manufacturing and services, enabling the digital-rail-and-transit ecosystems. Wabtec is focused on performance that drives progress, creating transportation solutions that move and improve the world. Wabtec has approximately 27,000 employees in facilities throughout the world. Visit the company’s new website at: http://www.WabtecCorp.com.
It’s not just about your career… or your job title…it’s about who you are and the impact you are going to make on the world. Do you want to go into uncharted waters…do things that haven’t been done to make yours and someone else's life better? Wabtec has been doing that for decades and we will continue to do so! Through our people, leadership development, services, technology and scale, Wabtec delivers better outcomes for global customers by speaking the language of industry.
A Manager of System Safety Engineering is needed to Lead Wabtec's Safety efforts in the development and deployment of Train Control Products across global markets. Specifically, the Safety Engineering organization is responsible for the product architecture and the delivery of all Safety related artifacts required by the railroads in support of their Safety Plan submittals as defined by CFR 49, Part 236 Subpart I and other applicable North American and International rail safety standards. As part of this process, hazard assessments, detailed fault trees, occasional FMEAs and risk assessments will be required. All failure rate data needs to be established and justified. Adherence to a formal process will be required, although continuous process improvements are encouraged.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- General Responsibilities
- Develop and maintain Wabtec’s product development safety policies, standards, and procedures.
- Coordinate with the Senior Principal Safety Engineer to develop and maintain all safety artifacts required by Wabtec customers in support of their Train Control Safety Plan submittals.
- Coordinate with Product and Project Managers to ensure customer commitments and requirements are satisfied.
- Provide support to development teams by creating and maintaining applicable safety artifacts and influencing product design to meet product safety objectives.
- Coordinate with the Senior Principal Safety Engineer to develop complete safety plans and safety cases for submittal by railroads that choose to contract that service.
- Maintain awareness of efforts within the group to assure technical quality excellence, timely completion of work and reviews, appropriate use of resources, and responsiveness to customer needs.
- Supervisory Responsibilities
- Provide leadership and hands-on management for Systems Safety Engineering team.
- Monitoring and reviewing the work of staff members, including conducting annual performance reviews, as well as participating in the annual salary and benefit planning processes.
- Promote professional growth of team members through feedback, coaching, and counseling, as well as utilizing available development tools.
- Ensuring staff compliance with company policies, initiatives, and training requirements.
Minimum Qualifications: (To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.)
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science, or another related degree.
- Experienced with managing small to medium sized teams
- Minimum 10 yrs experience working within general engineering.
- Experience with managing stakeholders in cross-functional project experience
- Experience working with FRA regulatory process
- Experience working with Railroad and Industry Safety Experts in the development of Train Control Systems
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to utilize strategic and creative thinking to analyze issues that may arise and create solutions.
- Ability to work autonomously to make decisions and define organizational strategy.
- Proactively identifies and solves complex problems that impact the management and direction of the business.
- Continuously develops and grows a functional network within the organization to facilitate communication and accelerate resolution of issues as they arise.
Wabtec Corporation is committed to taking on the world’s toughest challenges. In order to fulfill that commitment we rely on a culture of leadership, diversity and inclusiveness. We aim to employ the world’s brightest minds to help us create a limitless source of ideas and opportunities. We believe in hiring talented people of varied backgrounds, experiences and styles…people like you! Wabtec Corporation is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or expression, or protected Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.ID:uDnQdo