Manufacturing Production Technician
White Cloud, MI
Do you want to be proud of the work you do? Do you want to have an impact on the lives of others? Are you seeking a dynamic career in making world class products with an evolving company that’s been in business over 150 years? HWI is an industry leader that powers the world economy to produce goods that sustain and enhance our lives. Our refractory products are used in every aspect of manufacturing across all product lines.
At HWI our Production Technicians support HWI’s mission and vision to drive industry performance and deliver quality results. This role is the core of our operations success.
The Production Technician is responsible for maintaining a clean & safe work environment as well as maintaining professional working relationships with co-workers. Job duties vary daily, but all are focused on the forming, finishing and packaging of fired brick, used in the refractory industry.
- Actively demonstrates and promotes safety and a safe work environment and holds their team accountable to drive a best in industry safety culture.
- Audits and observes to ensure our product meets or exceeds quality standards. Owns Quality Control compliance for their assigned working area.
- Analyzes equipment operations, performance, and problems and secures resources to ensure issues are resolved quickly and properly.
- Operates and programs presses, setters, pickers, scales and all of bearing equipment; off bears brick from press table to rack cark, kiln car or pallet, cleans loose material and flange before setting in prescribed manner.
- Operates tram cab, high lift and other transport machinery to deliver materials to presses.
- Transfers kiln cars; transports racks and/or rack cars to and from presses and ovens.
- Gauges and cleans kiln cars.
- Operates lift trucks to transport materials throughout the plant.
- Performs SMS charting and analysis of process variables.
- Performs minor preventative maintenance on equipment and/or partners with maintenance to solve equipment changes and problems.
- Actively participates in report out and production meetings.
- Ability to effectively receive and decipher both ambiguous and direct/detailed instructions, provides innovative solutions, and both work independently or as a team member.
Physical and Environmental Requirements
- Physical Activity: Requires more than 2/3 of the time standing, walking, using hands and fingers, reaching, climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, speaking, hearing, tasting or smelling; requires less than 1/3 of the time sitting.
- Lifting: Requires lifting up to 10 pounds more than 2/3 of the time; and lifting more than 100 pounds less than 1/3 of the time.
- Vision: Requires accurate close, distance, color and peripheral vision, including the ability to adjust focus and use peripheral vision.
- Environment: Requires more than 2/3 of the time working near moving mechanical parts, and being exposed to fumes, airborne particles and outdoor weather conditions; 1/3 to 2/3 of the time in wet or humid conditions, in extreme heat or cold, and exposed to toxic or caustic chemicals; and less than 1/3 of the time in an office setting, in high places, at risk of electrical shock and near vibration.
- Noise: Requires working in very loud conditions (over 85 decibels).
- Requires a high school diploma or equivalent preferred.
- Previous forklift experience preferred.
- Understanding of basic safety/OSHA standards.
- Some mechanical aptitude.
- Some manufacturing experience helpful.
HWI has exceptional benefit plans that includes; medical, dental, vision, and a competitive retirement plan. Apply today!