The Marketing and Communications Intern is a hands-on internship that will allow you to gain real world experience in the field. The intern will be responsible for providing support to the Global Marketing and Communications Department through a variety of projects, including internal communications, the development of sales support materials, event planning, competitive analysis, marketing research and analytics, and a variety of other tasks. While some projects will be predetermined based on marketing department goals and objectives, this internship allows students the opportunity to integrate their knowledge, skills and interests in a way that will benefit both McLanahan and the student.
Essential Functions/Key Accountabilities:
- Oversee the creation and distribution of our monthly global e-newsletter.
- Organize and create sales support materials.
- Assist in minor graphic design elements, including trade show/event signage; brochure layouts; photo editing; and social media graphic needs.
- Research and write blog articles, as well as internal communications as assigned.
- Create regular reports on marketing initiatives, as well as sales opportunities and competitive analysis.
- Design and monitor campaign landing pages, e-newsletters, and other digital properties.
- Assist in multiple other projects as assigned based on skill, interest and department needs.
- Students with a strong interest in web design and/or videography are also encouraged to apply, as tasks could be specifically tailored to these areas if applicant has relevant experience.
This position is typically located in an office setting and event facilities. Requires sitting, bending and standing for long periods of time. Occasionally, spends time in a manufacturing environment with exposure to dust, noise, and temperature fluctuations. The position requires ambulatory skills sufficient to travel domestically. Must be able to climb stairs unassisted. Requires good hand-eye coordination, arm, hand and finger dexterity, including ability to grasp, visual acuity to use a keyboard, and operate standard office equipment. Requires the ability to express or exchange ideas by means of both vebral and written communication. Ability to frequently maneuver (carry, lift, move, etc.) up to 60 pounds.
The physical demands described are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Currently enrolled in and pursing a degree in marketing, public relations, communications, or similar field at an accredited university and have completed at least 30 semester hours prior to the start of the internship.
- Minimum grade point average of 3.0
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Applications, as well as experience in Adobe Create Suite programs.
- Must be familiar with web based tools, digital marketing and marketing concepts as a whole.
- Strong writing and grammar skills with very strong organizational skills and attention to detail is required.
- Enjoys working in a team environment and is able to work collaboratively with team members, while still self-motivated and can take initiative to complete tasks with little direction.
- Applicants are expected to be able to commit a minimum of 35 hours per week in the summer and 15 hours per week in the fall. Work days and hours are flexible, but will be agreed upon with the hiring manager prior to start of the internship.
This position description outlines the major duties performed but is not intended to be all-inclusive. Additional duties may be assigned/performed as needed and determined by management. This position description is subject to change at any time.