Apogee Wausau Group, Inc.
Tru Vue Inc.
Location: McCook, IL
FLSA Status: Hourly Union
Hourly Rate: $24.28
Work Hours: Mon – Fri 7AM-3PM
Requirements: Must pass in person mechanic test prior to interviewing with hiring manager.
Purpose: Maintain production and quality by ensuring operation of mechanical and electrical equipment. Minimize downtime. Maintain facility and plant equipment, including operation of equipment as necessary.
To perform this job successfully, an employee must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Perform a variety of mechanical, electrical and building related activities.
- Perform mechanical and electrical installations.
- Operate equipment as required.
- Fabricate repair parts as required using machine shop equipment.
- Read and understand basic blueprints and wiring diagrams used in diagnosing mechanical or electrical problems; follow diagrams, sketches, operations manuals, manufacturer’s instruction, engineering specifications, and the like. Perform light construction projects.
- Repair and perform preventive maintenance duties on building and equipment as required and directed, which includes but is not limited to: motors, conveyor systems, and production machines.
- Diagnose mechanical and electrical device failures and malfunctions, examine, and perform repairs to production and building equipment as required.
- Troubleshoot equipment by observing mechanical devices in operation; listening for problems; using precision measuring and testing instruments and diagnostic tools.
- Coordinate repairs and installations with input from engineering and operations.
- Maintain equipment, parts, and supplies inventories by checking stock and anticipating needed equipment, parts and supplies.
- Prepare part orders as necessary for replacement parts or stock items.
- Conserve maintenance resources by efficient use of supplies.
- Assist in installing new equipment as required.
- Safely handle and store hazardous materials.
- Maintain safe and clean working environment.
- Maintain and properly store tools and maintenance equipment.
- Maintain work area and equipment in a clean and orderly fashion to facilitate work and minimize safety hazards.
- Perform other similar duties as required by supervision and in accordance with company policy and procedures.
- Perform duties always with maximum control of downtime by working efficiently and effectively.
- Provide mechanical maintenance information by answering questions and requests.
- Call in additional help for investigation and to get additional information.
- Maintain technical knowledge as required to maintain and operate plant systems and equipment.
- Prepare maintenance reports as required by collecting, analyzing and summarizing information and trends.
- Maintain continuity among work teams and other shift personnel by documenting and communicating actions, irregularities, and continuing needs.
- Contribute to team effort by accomplishing assigned tasks as needed and maintaining positive relationship with coworkers and management.
- Perform special projects as assigned by management.
- Maintain safety in all operations.
- Report and/or correct any unsafe conditions.
- Always use personal protective equipment (PPE) required for task being performed.
- Perform preventative maintenance activities.
- Operate cutting machinery, forklift, aerial, and scissor lift equipment as required.
- Interact and communicate effectively in a team environment.
The above responsibilities represent the major tasks assigned to an employee of this job title. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all tasks. Therefore, on occasion, employees may perform other related tasks.
(Include education, experience, special skills and licenses or certifications required.)
Education and Experience: (minimum requirements)
- High School education or equivalency preferred; Trade school training required.
- 1 – 3 years of experience in an industrial/manufacturing environment
- Ability to interpret basic blueprints
- Basic electrical knowledge
- PLC knowledge beneficial
- Basic fabrication and assembly skills
- Basic pipefitting ability
- Basic carpentry knowledge
- Basic computer knowledge
- Ability to operate production and building equipment including: Power Tools, Basic hand and specialized tools
- Awareness of factory safety Interpersonal skills necessary to work in team environment
Environmental and Atmospheric Conditions:
These conditions are representative the manufacturing areas;
Batching operation where chemicals are blended; area is enclosed and has exhaust.
Paper/cardboard is handled; dust/dirt from wrappings and products may be present.
Corrugated/paper dust is generated during cutting, cleaning, and maintaining of equipment and dust collection system.
Ambient temperature varies (hot and cold).
Manufacturing is a Hearing Conservation Area; noise level is between 85 and 89.9 decibels.
Safety is of utmost concern in the work environment because of moving/cutting machinery and products that are sharp. Everyone is required to abide by Plant Safety Rules.
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE):
PPE such as steel toe boots/shoes are worn, gloves, safety glasses, hearing protection, and other devices are worn to protect employee from hazards during the performance of work.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. For specific lifting, pushing and pulling thresholds for this position, please see Safety Manager.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, and use hands and fingers, to handle, feel objects, tools, or controls. The employee is frequently required to talk, hear, reach and carry with hands and arms. This position is defined as Heavy Work by the Department of Labor. The following physical abilities are required to perform the task:
Lifting to handling > 50 pounds at a time, frequent lifting/carrying objects weighting < 25 pounds.
Walking, standing, head and neck will be in the standing position with frequent to continuous flexing and rotation.
Visual acuity of 20/20-30, with or without corrected vision.
Frequent to continuous pushing/pulling of arms and ability to grasp with both hands; fine manipulation, simple and firm.
Frequent bending, stooping, and crouching.
The position routinely requires verbal and written communication in English in order to complete the daily business requirements. Verbal communications include, but are not limited to: team meetings, work instructions to team members, communications with peers and management, and safety instructions. Written communications include, but are not limited to: department paperwork, project updates, safety walkthroughs, continuous improvement projects, and communications with peers, and management.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Apogee and our brands are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status or any other characteristic protected by state or federal law.ID:uDnQdo