Mechanical Engineering Supervisor
Design Engineering Supervisor
The Design Engineering Supervisor is responsible for coordinating all efforts in their area of responsibility by assigning tasks, coaching and mentoring, directing troubleshooting and improvement efforts and ensuring that staff have the tools and training necessary to perform their duties. The Design Engineering Supervisor will continuously seek areas for improvement in department operations as well as areas of interaction with other departments to ensure quality and efficiency of engineering output. The Design Engineering Supervisor will regularly collaborate with Manufacturing Engineering, Manufacturing, Sales, Quality, Purchasing and MIS to ensure that the team is providing engineered solutions per the need of the organization and in a timely manner.
- Ensures that all direct reports are familiar with, trained on and follow all Quality System procedures related to their jobs and that changes to procedures are reviewed, approved and validated prior to implementation.
- Provide technical and functional leadership to the team.
- Research and implement industry best practices of product development, and help navigate changing technologies and trends
- Lead a team of Designers and Design Engineers and assign projects and oversee progress to develop next generation product, product improvements/changes, or cost reductions.
- Facilitate process improvement efforts by establishing goals and objectives for the department consistent with overall engineering objectives
- Review new product designs during the product development and product launch phases to assist with best practices and DFM/DFA.
- Oversee DFMEA and DVP&R development
- Regularly critique product designs for cost effectiveness, productivity, quality, safety and feasibility.
- Oversee and mentor all design troubleshooting efforts in various stages of product development and where necessary assist with production troubleshooting.
- Oversee new product launch projects with the use of project management software
- Provide a timely response and resolution to design, safety, quality and production issues.
- Oversee the continued personal development and technical training of direct reports. Set training objectives and suggest subject areas of focus.
- Communicate effectively with employees at all levels of the organization.
- Direct, coordinate and supervise Design engineering (exempt and non-exempt) staff, providing appropriate support, guidance, and discipline to achieve department and individual objectives.
- Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the Company’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; performance management; addressing complaints; and resolving problems.
- Communicate and lead significant change efforts by delegating tasks, setting expectations, and holding employees accountable for results.
- Maintain communication with other departments and project teams, provide written reports as required, and attend department and staff meetings.
Required Skills / Credentials:
- Minimum of an Associate’s degree in a technical field or related training.
- Leadership and management training.
- 6+ years of experience designing mechanical components, 11+ years preferred.
- Ability to read, analyze, interpret, and create technical documents, engineering drawings, engineering documentation. Ability to create documents and correspondence to effectively present information, respond to questions, solve problems and justify needs.
- Ability to work independently and to organize and prioritize tasks to meet required deadlines.
- Ability to multitask
- Proficient knowledge of how engineering design and simulation tools are applied
- Proficient in the use of productivity software such as Microsoft Windows, Word, Excel, PowerPoint