Nexstar Media Group, Inc.
The Meteorologist forecasts weather conditions and produces and anchors weather reports for all platforms in a manner that is clear, engaging and meaningful to news consumers.
- Produces and presents weather reports for platforms including on air, online and via social media.
- Ensures that all weather content meets company standards for journalistic integrity and production quality.
- Writes and delivers weather stories in a clear and concise manner.
- Assists in writing, copy editing, researching and coordinating weather programming and other content.
- Responds to breaking and/or severe weather events and other urgent newsroom situations as required.
- Follows the leadership of and works closely with the chief meteorologist and newsroom management to develop comprehensive weather coverage.
- Participates in promotional activities including public appearances.
- Performs special projects and other duties as assigned.
- Engages in ongoing technical and performance training.
- Writes web stories detailing the local forecast on a daily basis.
- Interacts with viewers and users on social media sites.
Requirements & Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree in Meteorology, or a related field, or an equivalent combination of education and work-related experience.
- Fluency in English.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written with the ability to ad lib when required.
- Minimum two years’ experience in weather reporting or anchoring
- Superior on-air presence.
- Proficiency with computers, forecasting software, social media and other office equipment.
- Ability to meet deadlines, prioritize assignments and handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to effectively listen to fully understand problems and communicate with a team to shape a solution.
- Strong understanding of the field of meteorology and a proven track record of forecasting.
- Valid driver’s license with a good driving record.
- Flexibility to work any shift, including early mornings, nights, weekends and holidays.
Must be able to:
- Stand for periods of time ranging from 5 consecutive minutes while presenting a standard weather forecast on air to standing for an hour or more at a time during on air severe weather coverage
- Present on air with urgency, especially while broadcasting life-saving information during potentially dangerous weather
- Walk from one fixed point in the news studio to another while on camera
- Interpret complex and constantly changing scientific weather data to build forecast graphics in a timely manner