Millwright/Mechanic Foreman – (Cedar Rapids, IA) – Austin Industrial
Austin Industries, Inc.
Cedar Rapids, IA
About Austin Industrial
Austin Industrial delivers premier maintenance, construction, and soft craft services to leading industrial companies across the U.S. An industry leader for more than 60 years, we offer single-source solutions to our customers in the oil, gas, chemical, food, agriculture, power, and manufacturing industries. Our team of 4,000 employee-owners, equipped with innovative technology and optimized procedures, helps owners optimize safety, productivity, profit margins, and cost-efficiency.
Must be able to install, repair, replace and dismantle the machinery and heavy equipment used in industrial settings. This is accomplished by performing the following essential duties and responsibilities. Other duties may be assigned.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- Replace defective parts of machine or adjust clearances and alignment of moving parts.
- Align machines and equipment, using hoists, jacks, hand tools, squares, rules, micrometers, and plumb bobs.
- Connect power unit to machines or steam piping to equipment, and test unit to evaluate its mechanical operation.
- Repair and lubricate machines and equipment.
- Assemble and install equipment, using hand tools and power tools.
- Position steel beams to support bedplates of machines and equipment, using blueprints and schematic drawings, to determine work procedures.
- Signal crane operator to lower basic assembly units to bedplate and align unit to centerline.
- Insert shims, adjust tension on nuts and bolts, or position parts, using hand tools and measuring instruments, to set specified clearances between moving and stationary parts.
- Move machinery and equipment, using hoists, dollies, rollers, and trucks.
- Attach moving parts and subassemblies to basic assembly unit, using hand tools and power tools.
- Assemble machines, and bolt, weld, rivet, or otherwise fasten them to foundation or other structures, using hand tools and power tools.
- Lay out mounting holes, using measuring instruments, and drill holes with power drill.
- Bolt parts, such as side and deck plates, jaw plates, and journals, to basic assembly unit.
- Level bedplate and establish centerline, using straightedge, levels, and transit.
- Dismantle machines, using hammers, wrenches, crowbars, and other hand tools.
- Shrink-fit bushings, sleeves, rings, liners, gears, and wheels to specified items, using portable gas heating equipment.
- Dismantle machinery and equipment for shipment to installation site, usually performing installation and maintenance work as part of team.
- Construct foundation for machines, using hand tools and building materials such as wood, cement, and steel.
- Operate engine lathe to grind, file, and turn machine parts to dimensional specifications.
- Other duties as assigned.
Physical Demands The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; talk or hear and taste or smell. The employee must regularly lift and /or move up to 25 pounds and may frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Qualifications Required for this Position:
Education – no minimum education requirements.
Experience – 3-5 years of Journeyman level experience.
Austin ("The Company") is an equal employment opportunity employer. The Company's policy prohibits discrimination against any applicant or employee based on race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age (40 and over), disability, military status, genetic information or any other basis protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws. The Company also prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories. It is also the Company's policy to comply with all federal, state and local laws respecting consideration of unemployment status in making hiring decisions.