New Graduate – Civil
Sugar Land, TX
Job Description**This is an entry level role**
The purpose of this position is to use established practices and guidelines applying educational knowledge of design engineering principles as listed. This role has the responsibility to promote Fluor’s competitiveness within the global marketplace by delivering quality services of unmatched value and technical competence. This position supports the Area Lead or Lead on assigned projects or performs work on routine scope engineering assignments and performs specific and limited portions of engineering assignments.
• Perform and check routine calculations, specify simple equipment, and solve problems of simple engineering complexity
• Review vendor equipment documentation within the discipline and from other disciplines for compliance with project requirements, and actively seek discrepancy resolution
• Participate in equipment and material procurement activities
• Adhere to industry codes and standards as well as department practices and procedures
• Analyze and make independent recommendations regarding solutions to problems with varying complexity in accordance with organization and/or project objectives and guidelines
• Organize and prioritize a variety of projects and multiple tasks in an effective and timely manner, set priorities, and meet deadlines
• Other duties as assigned
Basic Job Requirements• Accredited four (4) year Civil Engineering degree or global equivalent in engineering field of study and no required previous years of work-related experience (new graduate); a recognized professional certification or registration in the applicable field, if required; some locations may have additional or different qualifications in order to comply with local requirements
• Ability to communicate effectively with audiences that include but are not limited to management, coworkers, clients, vendors, contractors, and visitors
• Job related technical knowledge necessary to complete the job
• Ability to learn and apply knowledge of applicable local, state/province, and federal/national statutes and guidelines
• Ability to attend to detail and work in a time-conscious and time-effective manner
Preferred Qualifications• Prefer 3.0 GPA or higher
• Previous internship experience preferred
• Hydrology and Hydraulics: Rainfall runoff, hydrographs, flow routing, basic understanding of USDA TR-55 and other modeling tools, pond design, energy and momentum, open channel flow, urban hydrology and hydraulics, gravity pipe flow hydraulics, pressurized pipe flow network, pump sizing and design.
• Surveying and Remote sensing: Basic surveying, surveying measurements, geographic information systems, photogrammetry, surveying with global positioning system, understanding of state plane coordinates, topographic maps.
• Geotechnical, Roads and Pavement design: Properties of soil, hydraulic conductivity, soil mechanics, compaction and consolidation, knowledge of geosynthetics, design of pavements (flexible and rigid), geometric design of streets and roads, pavement markings and signs.
• Computer software: 2D CAD (e.g., AutoCAD, MicroStation), 3D civil engineering software (e.g., Civil3D, OpenRoads), hydrology and hydraulics software (e.g., CivilStorm, HY8, Win TR-55, Win TR-20, HEC)
• Non-Technical capabilities: Resourceful, good communication skills, achievements in extracurricular activities.
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognizes the value of a diverse workforce. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, genetic information, or any other criteria protected by governing law.
At Fluor, we are proud to design and build projects and careers. This requires teams that are as unique as the projects we execute. We are committed to fostering a work environment that embraces Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DE&I) for all so our employees and stakeholders benefit from the creative solutions derived as a result of embracing differences.
BenefitsFluor is proud to offer a comprehensive benefits package designed to promote employee health, wellness, and financial security. Our offerings include medical, dental and vision plans, EAP, disability coverage, life insurance, AD&D, voluntary benefit plans, 401(k) with a company match, and training and development courses.