Nexstar Media Group, Inc.
Grand Rapids, MI
WOOD-TV (NBC) , WOTV (ABC) and WXSP (MyNet) are the Nexstar-owned stations and digital operations located in the Grand Rapids – Kalamazoo – Battle Creek, MI market. We are seeking an experienced News Director who is an innovative and dynamic leader, possessing excellent news and ethical judgement, strong understanding of hard news and investigative brands, and has a passion to be the best in the market each and every day. Responsibilities include managing daily news content across multiple platforms; hiring, training and mentoring producers, reporters, and anchors; overseeing special projects and daily operations in the newsroom.
The News Director leads and supervises all aspects of news, weather and sports programming production.
• Manages all aspects of the News Department
• Plans and manages staffing, training, and performance evaluations for the News Department.
• Makes decisions regarding hiring, evaluation, promotion and termination of employees.
• Develops news coverage strategy for the station and its website.
• Critiques newscasts daily to correct errors, improve coverage and provide mentoring feedback to news staff.
• Assigns projects to staff and verifies that deadlines are being met.
• Ensures achievement of viewer rating goals.
• Determines news programming and evaluation of equipment needs to produce quality news programming.
• Responds to coverage questions.
• Maintains compliance with FCC regulations and Nexstar Guidance within the News Department
• Works with other senior station leaders to establish and reach station goals.
• Performs other duties as assigned
Requirements & Skills:
• Bachelor’s degree in Broadcast Journalism, or a related field, or an equivalent combination of education and work-related experience.
• Fluency in English.
• Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
• Minimum five years’ experience in news programming production, with at least three years’ experience in a leadership role.
• Experience guiding, directing and motivating subordinates, including setting performance standards and monitoring performance.
• Experience establishing long-range objectives and specifying the strategies and actions to achieve them.
• Ability to identify the developmental needs of others and to coach, mentor or otherwise help others to improve their knowledge or skills.
• Experience preparing and maintaining departmental budgets.
• Proficiency with computers, telephones, copiers, scanners, fax machines and other office equipment.
• Ability to meet deadlines, prioritize assignments and handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
• Ability to effectively listen to fully understand employee needs and communicate with a team to shape a solution.