Portfolio Manager Americas Power Trading
Shell Oil Co.
San Diego, CA
California, United States of America
Information Technology (IT)
Job Family Group:
Posting Start Date:
Projects and Technology
Where you fit in
The Shell Energy Americas IT Power team is a rapidly expanding team helping the 'Americas Power' business grow and scale across expanding business models (including low carbon) to achieve our 2030 strategic initiatives. The Power business's core focus is the trading and optimisation of electricity within the Americas covering the electricity generation, supply and operations for all Shell's customer and Shell subsidiaries across generation and supply. Our growth ambitions require increased flexibility and scalability of our business models through technology enabled solutions, innovative platforms, and automation necessary to manage our renewable and flexible power generation and successfully trade in the fast-paced, highly automated intraday markets.
What’s the role?
The IT Power Portfolio Manager is the single point of accountability collaborating with a broad set of business stakeholders to ensure our IT delivery strategy and roadmap enables the commercial vision and growth ambitions while meeting our critical support and operations KPIs. The IT Power Portfolio Manager ensures that demand is correctly prioritized, managed and delivered such that raised requests are fulfilled in a timely manner, working across the necessary IT and digital delivery teams to ensure their respective business stakeholder’s needs are met.
Another critical aspect of this role is ensuring that the technology and digital delivery into the power trading business meets our Enterprise IT standards related to delivery assurance, risk management and compliance. Additionally, this role is the single point of accountability when IT related issues invariably occur. This individual will be responsible for managing incidents, escalating challenges, and partnering with their peers across the broader IT organisation to address challenges and deliver results.
The role’s key responsibilities are:
- Stakeholder Management:
- Develop and own the power trading and operations stakeholder management framework and governance approach agreed with the regional CIO managing relationships proactively with executive presence.
- Create a culture of one team working closely with senior business executives, senior IT leadership and the IT Managers and Product Line Managers to understand, align, structure and shape how development and delivery scope aligns to overarching strategic goals, business objectives and user expectations.
- Delivery Management & Assurance:
- Ensure the successful delivery of solutions and product development lifecycles into the Power Trading portfolio meeting delivery assurance standards and delivery benefits enabling the business vision and roadmap.
- Successfully resource and build product delivery teams in line with the Enterprise delivery and sourcing strategies ensuring value and benefits realization.
- Manage budgets appropriately and in line with business plans.
- Manage escalations, where required, to resolve resourcing issues, orchestrating their resolution across organisational boundaries.
- Value Generation & Protection:
- Ensure the delivery of value outcomes by applying investment discipline to IT expenditure and rigour in benefits realisation.
- Intervene and escalate to senior leadership where return on investment is not being realised driving decision making on the appropriate way forward.
- Lead with behaviours that emphasise a commercial mindset, customer focus, and competitive differentiation.
- Seeks opportunities to commercialise data and means of realising development efficiencies through automation across the power trading and operations technology stack.
- Enterprise Compliance:
- Shape development and delivery scope, including all Product aspects, to comply with Enterprise IT standards.
- Determine and mobilise opportunities to scale and replicate across the technology stack, driving automation strategies for cost optimisation.
- Business Intelligence:
- Demonstrated understanding of the commercial strategic imperatives and success factors. Recognises and considers the impact of trends associated with our markets, customers, and competitors.
- Enables the business through data driven insights, automation and straight through processing driving competitive advantage.
- Drive the consistent use of innovation methods and data driven insights across technology development teams.
What we need from you?
- Must have legal authorization to work in the US on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer.
- At least 10 years relevant working experience in the trading industry.
- At least a bachelor’s degree in computer science, engineering, or a related field.
- Extensive knowledge of the North America wholesale power trading markets, real-time and day ahead trading.
- Sound knowledge of power operations associated with asset management, nominations, scheduling and the associated ISO interfaces and exchange.
- Observable IT Portfolio Management skills related to prioritization, planning, value and budget management and optimized resourcing strategies.
- Demonstrated leadership and team supervisory skills based on a collaborative style that inspires innovation and a performance drive approach across teams.
- Ability to work through complexity and across organizational boundaries to broker agreements and bring together the right capabilities at the right time.
- Strong commercial mindset enabled by rounded understanding of our business, customers, and technology.
- Adept at influencing and challenging at senior levels to achieve the right outcomes across our business and technology teams
- Broad depth of external experience and insights developed beyond Shell developed through a network of industry peers, technology partners and IT leaders.
- Ability to build and lead high performing IT product teams focused on creating business value and recognised across Shell as doing so.
- The confidence and resilience to truly partner with the business to manage expectations and deliver optimized results across competing priorities and stakeholder expectations.
Shell is a global group of energy and petrochemicals companies with over 90,000 employees in more than 70 countries and territories. In the US, we have operated for over a century and are a major oil and gas producer onshore and in the Gulf of Mexico, a recognized innovator in exploration and production technology, and a leading manufacturer and marketer of fuels, natural gas, and petrochemicals. We deliver energy responsibly; operate safely with respect to our neighbours and work to minimize our environmental impact. We are in search of remarkable people who will thrive in a diverse and inclusive work environment to deliver exciting projects locally and globally. People who are passionate about exploring new frontiers. Innovators and pioneers. People with the drive to help shape our future. Because remarkable people achieve remarkable things.
An innovative place to work
There’s never been a more exciting time to work at Shell. Everyone here is helping solve one of the biggest challenges facing the world today: bringing the benefits of energy to everyone on the planet, whilst managing the risks of climate change.
Join us and you’ll add your talent and imagination to a business with the power to shape the future – whether by investing in renewables, exploring new ways to store energy, or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently.
An inclusive place to work
To power progress together, we need to attract and develop the brightest minds and make sure every voice is heard. Here are just some of the ways we’re nurturing an inclusive environment – one where you can express your ideas, extend your skills, and reach your potential…
- We’re creating a space where people with disabilities can excel through transparent recruitment process, workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Feel free to let us know about your circumstances when you apply and we’ll take it from there.
- We’re closing the gender gap – whether that’s through action on equal pay or by enabling more women to reach senior roles in engineering and technology.
- We’re striving to be a pioneer of an inclusive and diverse workplace, promoting equality for employees regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
- We consider ourselves a flexible employer and want to support you finding the right balance. We encourage you to discuss this with us in your application.
A rewarding place to work
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice.
We’re huge advocates for career development. We’ll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible.
Please note: We occasionally amend or withdraw Shell jobs and reserve the right to do so at any time, including prior to the advertised closing date. Before applying, you are advised to read our data protection policy. This policy describes the processing that may be associated with your personal data and informs you that your personal data may be transferred to Shell/Shell Group companies around the world. The Shell Group and its approved recruitment consultants will never ask you for a fee to process or consider your application for a career with Shell. Anyone who demands such a fee is not an authorised Shell representative and you are strongly advised to refuse any such demand. Shell participates in E-Verify. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, citizenship, genetic information or other protected status under federal, state or local laws. Shell is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Minorities/Females/Veterans/Disability. As a US Federal Contractor, hiring selections are subject to periodic audit review and documentation of your selections should be maintained for a period of three calendar years. It is the policy of Shell in the U.S. (“Shell”) to provide equal opportunity to all individuals, employees and all qualified applicants for employment consistent with employment requirements and qualifications. Shell prohibits discrimination based on race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, citizenship, genetic information, or other protected status under federal, state or local laws. All employees are expected to support this policy and contribute to an environment of equal opportunity. If you need an accommodation for a disability during the resourcing process, please speak with an HR representative.