Principal Machine Learning Engineer
This position is a hybrid schedule in our Natick, MA corporate headquarters - 3 days in the office and 2 remote!
The Company: Cognex Corporation
Cognex is the largest, most successful and recognized global player in industrial machine vision! Using advanced optics, image sensors and artificial intelligence software Cognex vision and ID systems capture an image then analyze it to make sense of what’s being seen. We are passionate about building and sustaining an inclusive and equitable working environment for all.
We are looking for creative, bright, motivated Cognoids who share our passion for excellence and want to make an impact at a dynamic, global company. We celebrate our employees for their innovation, perseverance and hard work in a fun, rewarding, and quirky environment. If you enjoy the sense of accomplishment that comes from working together to create products that solve tough problems for organizations around the world, contact us to see how you can become part of our team!
The Team: Deep Learning Vision Technology
This position is for a team member of the Edge Learning R & D group, at corporate headquarters in Natick, MA. The team is responsible for research and development in deep learning technology for industrial machine vision, with a mission to come up with innovations that can make this exciting technology more accessible to a broad range of users in many different industries, including consumer goods, aerospace, automotive, pharmaceuticals, robotics, and electronics.
Within this mission, the team typically looks at questions like:
How can we make neural networks faster to run on low-powered devices?
How can we adapt neural networks to new tasks more quickly and with less training data?
How can we combine neural network technology with other computer vision technologies, to solve a wider range of problems
And finally, how to make this technology easily usable for non-deep-learning-experts to deploy on their production lines?
Within the team, development is primarily done in Python, but the integration into production happens mostly in C++. Engineers in this group typically have experience with deep learning, image analysis, machine vision, statistical learning, or signal processing. Success in this role has the potential to lead to increased responsibility at Cognex.
This group is seeking engineers with a passion for programming to lead deep learning vision technology development in industrial machine vision as well as those who have the aptitude and interest to work with an exceptional development team.
- Research and develop modern deep learning algorithms for computer vision, with a focus on algorithms with low power requirements, and models trainable from few images
- Implement prototypes of such algorithms to demonstrate their capabilities to other teams within the company
- Assist other teams with production-quality implementation of the new algorithms, ready to be integrated with other Cognex products
- Mentor junior engineers
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Experience developing new deep learning algorithms for computer vision
- Deep understanding of some areas of state-of-the-art deep learning research
- Proficiency with at least one deep learning framework such as PyTorch orTensorFlow
- Strong programming skills, professional programming experience desirable
- Experience with systems programming or embedded programming is desirable
- Creative, motivated, and looking to work hard for an aggressive growth company
Minimum education and work experience required:
- PhD from a top engineering school in EE, CS or equivalent
- 5+ years experience in deep learning or data science
If you are interested in working in a high-energy, fast-moving company with leading-edge machine vision technology, strong values, a corporate culture unlike any other in the world and the best industrial machine vision products available, please visit our website at www.cognex.com and apply online today
Additional Job Description
Equal Employment Opportunity
Cognex is an equal opportunity employer. Cognex evaluates qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, protected veteran status, disability/handicap status or any other legally protected characteristic.ID:uDnQdo