Production Technician (1099 Contractor)
The Washington Post Co.
Do you love all things Audio/Visual? Have you led A/V production for live, high-profile events where sound and video quality make the difference in an event being streamed by millions and not seen or heard at all? The Washington Post is looking for a Production Technician to assist with the management and operation of all production and A/V for our Live Center, used for internal and public-facing events.
This role is based in our Washington, D.C. Live Center, with some remote work required.
- You demonstrate a pro-active approach to task-based work assignments and time management skills
- You strive for operational excellence
- You are a proponent for having backup systems, processes, and solutions in place. You have a plan A, B and C for any situation
- You are organized and have an eye for detail
- You enjoy the fast-paced environment of live production
- Set up, trouble-shoot and operate all Live Center A/V and production equipment with assistance
from internal and external crew
- Operate Newtek Tri-caster switcher and other related software and hardware
- Operate audio mixers (Yamaha QL5 and Behringer X32) for live events
- Operate camera PTZ controls for live events
- Operate lighting board (DOT 2)
- Make suggestions and recommendations to increase efficiency, effectiveness and overall quality within the A/V operations
- Consult and ideate with the event teams for future enhancements for the live event experience
- Test and ensure preparedness of broadcast systems prior to scheduled use
- Maintain the control room and event space for The Washington Post Live Center, ensuring high quality equipment condition, accessibility, and maintenance scheduling
- Coordinate with vendors as related to external A/V production, manufacturing, and installation companies
- Maintain and update production related databases, operating instructions and SOPs.
- Understanding of broadcast signal flow, live streaming and encoding
- 3-5 years of live production experience in a specialized role
- A good working knowledge of current A/V standards and equipment such as HDMI, HDCP, Dolby Atmos, Dante, NewTek Tri-Casters and familiarity with NDI Tools
- Understanding of streaming and recording digital formats
- Strong analytical and proven technical problem-solving skills, along with the ability to convey decision making to senior managers and customers
- A natural curiosity to learn about our business and be able to provide insight into new opportunities for innovation and improvement
- The ability to problem-solve in fast paced and high-pressure situations
- The ability to work alone and in a collaborative environment
- The flexibility to work evenings and weekends, based on event schedules
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- A pro-active approach to task-based work assignments and time management skills
The Post strives to provide its readers with high-quality, trustworthy news and information while constantly innovating. That mission is best served by a diverse, multi-generational workforce with varied life experiences and perspectives. All cultures and backgrounds are welcomed.