Project Controls Engineer II
Freeport-McMoRan is a leading international mining company with headquarters in Phoenix, Arizona. We operate large, long-lived, geographically diverse assets with significant proven and probable reserves of copper, gold, and molybdenum. The company has a dynamic portfolio of operating, expansion and growth projects in the copper industry. Freeport-McMoRan is one of the world’s largest publicly traded copper producers, the world’s largest producer of molybdenum and a significant gold producer. We have a long and successful history of conducting our business in a safe, highly efficient and socially-responsible manner.
We have the assets, the talent, the drive and the financial strength to provide attractive and rewarding careers of our employees. We encourage you to take the time to explore the opportunity to advance your career at Freeport-McMoRan.
Under minimal supervision, provides project controls support as well as technical advice and guidance for designated engineering projects including but not limited to project management, construction management, cost and schedule analysis, project reporting, and general project controls.
- Evaluate the impact of design or construction changes and associated cost growth or schedule slippages. Assesses proposed process improvements, requests for information (RFIs), and differing site conditions for impacts to the project in terms of cost and schedule.
- Utilize engineering knowledge and experience to review and process engineering submittals, track the progress of the same and coordinate submittal and reviews with the project manager, project team members and any other stakeholders as directed by supervisor.
- Review and approve the reported progress percentage based on the rules of credit established within the project with the contractors through spot checks of the design documents and/or construction progress.
- Review contractor schedules for accuracy and alignment with the overall master schedule. Assess project documents, including design sets, to determine project milestones and sequencing and validate that the construction schedules comply with the project documents.
- Assist in processing and monitoring project change notices and reporting of changes through Freeport's Change Management System.
- Assist in compilation of all weekly, monthly, and quarterly reports for the project.
- Provide guidance, direction and specialized assistance for the resolution of difficult project control issues through various methods such as using industry related technical knowledge, designing innovative short cuts, and reviewing engineering alternatives.
- Analyzes, evaluates, and forecasts status against an established baseline schedule. Understands the construction methodology and can identify potential issues and impacts and propose corrective actions.
- Estimates quantities and cost of materials, equipment, or labor to validate project estimates, change orders and scope changes through the review of design drawings, sketches, calculations or other information supplied by the engineering or construction company.
- Analyze survey reports, maps, drawings, blueprints, aerial photography, and other topographical or geologic data to assist in project planning.
- Based on design reviews, identify an out of scope changes and documents quantity variances based on material take offs (MTOs) from design documents.
- Review contractor equipment logs, time sheets, supplier invoices and contracts to check that equipment and personnel are being utilized as specified.
- Perform other duties as requested.
- Bachelor’s degree in appropriate Engineering discipline and three (3) years related experience in Engineering, OR
- Master’s degree in appropriate Engineering discipline and two (2) years related experience in Engineering
- Experience with ERP systems, SAP, P6 and EcoSys
- Microsoft Project experience and in multi discipline projects
- Strong understanding of Primavera/Microsoft Project planning process on capital mining projects
- Strong communication skills both verbal/written and analytical skills
- Ability to multi-task in high paced project environment
- Understanding of Accounting functions and systems
- Experience with Cost Control including project estimating, forecasting and cost management including reporting
- Construction experience maintaining awareness of hazards/safety precautions
- Personal protective equipment is required when performing work in a mine, outdoor, manufacturing or plant environment, including hard hat, hearing protection, safety glasses, safety footwear, and as needed, respirator, rubber steel-toe boots, protective clothing, gloves and any other protective equipment as required.
- Freeport-McMoRan promotes a drug/alcohol-free work environment through the use of mandatory pre-employment drug testing and on-going random drug testing as allowed by applicable state laws
Freeport-McMoRan has reviewed the jobs at its various office and operating sites and determined that many of these jobs require employees to perform essential job functions that pose a direct threat to the safety or health of the employees performing these tasks or others. Accordingly, the Company has designated the following positions as safety-sensitive:
- Site-based positions, or positions which require unescorted access to site-based operational areas, which are held by employees who are required to receive MSHA, OSHA, DOT, HAZWOPER and/or Hazard Recognition Training; or
- Positions which are held by employees who operate equipment, machinery or motor vehicles in furtherance of performing the essential functions of their job duties, including operating motor vehicles while on Company business or travel (for this purpose “motor vehicles” includes Company owned or leased motor vehicles and personal motor vehicles used by employees in furtherance of Company business or while on Company travel); or
- Positions which Freeport-McMoRan has designated as safety sensitive positions in the applicable job or position description and which upon further review continue to be designated as safety-sensitive based on an individualized assessment of the actual duties performed by a specifically identified employee.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veteran/Disability