Powell Industries, Inc.
Project Managers I provide oversight and direction to their assigned projects. The Project Manager I is accountable for planning, managing, and monitoring the project lifecycle to ensure projects are executed within their scope, schedule, budget, quality level, and targeted benefit realization — the project lifecycle includes, from the requirement phase through project retirement closeout.
- Drive positive customer experience during project execution
- Provides consultation on proposal development as required
- Ensures integration of the project activities to meet project cost, schedule, deliverables, and manages scope changes to achieve customer requirements
- Acts as meeting chair for internal/external Kick-Off meetings
- Flows down contract requirements to the project team to ensure each team member is aware of his/her obligations
- Develops and manages the project schedule with input from various departments to ensure alignment with both internal and contractual delivery commitments
- Conducts project-specific meetings with project stakeholders
- Responsible for project commercial and contract management
- Effectively work within a multi-organizational/divisional project environment.
- Develops and manages Project Management Plans
- Proactively manages risk (threats and opportunities) and regularly communicates to stakeholders
- The key point of contact for all communications between the customer and Powell
- Responsible for the Management of the project’s financials, including revenue budgets, cost budgets and forecasts to ensure the project’s P&L objectives are realized
Responsible for progress reporting
- Ensures project alignment between customer requirements and company objectives to maximize benefit realization
- Effectively communicate with project stakeholder to ensure timely and transparent information flow
- Make sound decisions and provide project direction that is well thought out to achieve predictable outcomes
- Lead and or participate in continuous improvement initiatives
- Responsible for the adherence to project and company quality levels
- Bachelor Degree in business, engineering or other related fields from an accredited institution or be a certified Project Management Professional (PMP) or have a management level certification from the Association of Project Management (APM)
- One (1) year in a titled project management position in the construction, manufacturing, oil & gas and/or power distribution industry, or similarly complex projects
- Effective abilities with project management, engineering, and accounting software (Primavera, MS Project, ERP system, Agile)
Expected Competencies to include:
- Business Acumen (Business Strategy, Contract Management)
- Leadership (Inclusiveness, Critical Thinking)
- Technical Project Management (Professional Execution within a formal framework)
- Demonstrated ability to lead and influence a matrix-organized team through the lifecycle of a project
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to effectively communicate with all stakeholders
- Detail-oriented and results-driven
- Demonstrated ability to make decisions based on limited information
- Established ability to negotiate with and influence customers, subcontractors and other key stakeholders
- Strong focus on customer satisfaction
- Technically astute
The employee typically performs duties in a normal office environment. There may be some work in a manufacturing environment and exposure to the elements of our factory. Additionally, there may be some work performed in the field with exposure to construction sites or active customer facilities. It is the policy of Powell Industries to promote safe working conditions for ALL employees, to make available where necessary special equipment to protect employees against specific hazards, to reduce accidents through prevention programs, and to establish rules that are designed for the safety of all. It is the responsibility of each employee to adhere to this policy, as well as to observe all safety practices and exercise every precaution for the safety of accidents.
This position is expected to travel approximately 5-10% of the time and must be able to travel with short notice and/or for extended periods.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to perform the essential functions of this job successfully. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Regularly required to use hands to touch, hold, handle, or feel.
- Frequently required to stand; walk; sit; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and talk or hear
- Must occasionally lift and/or move up to 65 pounds
- Maintaining body equilibrium and agility to prevent falling when walking, standing, crouching, ascending, or descending stairs