Quality and Safety Specialist
SMS group Inc. - East Pittsburgh
Responsible for managing the company's Quality Systems and for driving EHS and lean improvements across workshops. Additional responsibilities include: developing culture of safety behavior, risk recognition and abandonment, leading incident investigation, championing safety training, and managing customer quality compliance.
Who we are
At SMS group, our people are our greatest asset. We offer an entrepreneurial environment that promotes a culture of innovation, growth, and inclusion. We offer company events, activities, and opportunities to participate in charitable initiatives that benefit the communities where we are located.
What you'll do: Safety
- Promote safety as continuous improvement program and ensure employees are constantly committed to this process.
- Maintains a strong shop floor/site presence, engage employees, promote improvement opportunities and forge relationships with employees at all levels.
- Interpret environmental, health and safety regulations and recommend measures to help protect workers from potentially hazardous conditions
- Utilize advanced analytics to drive decision making and keep managers aware of their locations safety performance.
- Facilitate 5s and lean improvement projects
- Work with workshop management to develop incident reductions and strategic safety plans.
- Conduct safety leadership training for managers, supervisors and specialists
- Manage and lead incident investigations/workers compensation claims, evaluate for trends and collaborate with management to institute tangible corrective actions.
- Conduct EHS compliance audits for workshop to verify continuing compliance with corporate and regulatory compliance.
- Identify and utilize technology products to aid in injury reduction and safety improvement.
- Provide feedback and recommendations on how to improve the safety system to the corporate office.
- Manage the workshop’s Environmental Management System
- Examine shipment contents and compare with records, such as packing list, invoices, or purchase orders to verify accuracy. Record received materials and create inventory labels within GSS program.
- Record shipment data, such as weight, charges, damages or discrepancies for reporting, accounting, purchasing or recordkeeping purposes.
- Confer or correspond with vendors and shippers to rectify problems, such as damages, shortages, or nonconformance to specifications.
What you'll do: Quality
- Assist in developing and standardizing methods by which performance metrics are established and reported
- Oversee ISO compliance and certification
- Oversee NCR and IAP programs/systems
- Conduct internal audits
- Train in-plant Quality personnel
- Assist in reviewing work instructions, routers, travelers and inspection documents
- Participate in registration/surveillance audits
- Ensure corrective actions are properly generated and effectively closed
- Ensure document and records controls are maintained
- Work with all facilities to ensure all action items from audits, observations, complaints, etc. are effectively followed through
- Coordinate STS Engineering ISO Certification
What you'll need
- Bachelor's degree (BA) from a four-year college or university, or one to two years of related experience and/or training, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 3-5 years of experience
- Must be well versed in both QA and QC
- Strong Organizational, communication, statistical and computer skills
- Lean experience is a plus
- Knowledge of federal/state/local safety regulations
What we offer
Competitive compensation, medical/dental/vision coverage, paid vacation, paid holiday time, 401k with a company match, training, a tuition reimbursement program and more!
What we do
SMS group is the leading partner in the world of metals. We are an original equipment supplier offering comprehensive maintenance and spare part services for metals production, continuous casting and rolling (flat and long products), tubes, welded pipes, forging, non-ferrous technology, and heat treatment plants - all from a single source.
SMS group Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, gender identity or other categories protected by law. Employment is contingent upon successful completion of a drug screen and physical capacity profile test.
The above is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.