Quality Control Manager
American Concrete Products Co.
Kansas City, KS
This position directs and coordinates all activities of the Quality Control Department and testing laboratory; works with the Operations and Plant Managers to ensure that all PCI requirements are being met; communicates and collaborates with other managers to optimize production quality and workflow, as well as direct and coach other Quality Control Personnel. Other duties as assigned by management.
Essential Duties and Job Responsibilities:
- Directs the daily inspection of concrete batching, mixing, handling, placing, consolidating, and finishing.
- Directs the inspection and verification of product dimension, quantity and location of reinforcement and embedded items, form and mold adequacy and layout, and other production related items.
- Responsible for the fabrication of representative test samples as described in PCI Quality Control Manual; Acpa (q-cest); AAR M-1003.
- Responsible for all concrete mix designs and all applicable documentation.
- Responsible for the inspection of all finished products for conformance with proper paperwork and specification, as applicable to each specific type of product and within the limit of acceptable industry standards.
- Responsible for documenting, communicating, and following up on required repairs on a finished product per the PCI Quality Control Standards.
- Prepares, maintains and organizes complete Quality Control records for all fabricated products in an efficient and accessible manner.
- Collaborates with the Operations and Plant Managers to eliminate those processes which create significant rework or wasted material.
- Evaluates the work of other Quality Control personnel for the purpose of determining skill level, training needs, and the potential for increased responsibility while coaching employees to help develop their career.
- Conducts performance appraisals, reviews recommended salary or status adjustments with the Operations Manager.
- Assists with safety to maintain an accident-free work environment.
- Meets regularly with other Quality Control personnel to discuss production schedules, ongoing quality control issues, and to provide the opportunity for input on how to improve work processes and flow.
- Serves as a role model for employees with regard to attendance, timeliness, loyalty, mutual respect, and support for organizational teamwork and continuous process improvement.
Education and Experience
High school diploma or GED equivalent.
Preferably a two or four-year college degree in a related field.
Minimum of five years in the precast concrete industry.
Minimum ACI and PCI level III certification.
Ability to read and understand written instructions, notices, handbooks, and government regulations.
Ability to effectively communicate both verbal and written ideas and observations in an understandable manner.
Ability to read and understand construction documentation.
Ability to perform addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, as well as calculate percentages, area, circumference, periphery, and volume.
Ability to apply basic algebra and geometry concepts.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions.
Ability to organize and maintain records in an understandable and easily retrievable manner.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to walk, climb, sit, use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, as well as talk and hear.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those the employee encounters while performing the essential duties and responsibilities of the job. The work described will require the Quality Control Manager to be in the plant and yard environment, independent of weather conditions.
The Quality Control Manager is required to wear all safety equipment as that of the regular plant personnel, and may be exposed to fumes, airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals.