R&D Optical Intern
TRUMPF Smart Factory
How brave are you? We are a high-tech company providing machine tools and laser technology, and are looking for people who can face new challenges with a fresh mind. As an independent family company, we offer you the freedom and trust to put your brave ideas into practice. With you on board, we would like to power ahead with the digital networking of the manufacturing industry. Our passion and creative drive ensure that we are an innovative force – across the globe at over 70 TRUMPF locations.
This individual will assist Laser Development Engineers to develop laser diode products. He/she will set up and maintain test stations based on input from Development Engineers. He/she will test laser devices and summarize test data at the request of other Development Engineers.
Principle Duties & Responsibilities
The statements below are intended to describe the general nature and level of work in this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities. The position may require that employees perform other duties as assigned.
- Work with Development Engineers to define test methods, select test equipment and assemble test stations including test software (typical written in Labview).
- Test laser devices and components to ensure quality and summarize test data to be reviewed by development engineers.
- Perform visual inspection of laser components from external vendors or internal production to ensure adequate quality.
- Perform optical alignment of microlenses, microlens arrays, fiber coupling lenses and other optical elements; use optical adhesive to attach optical elements.
- Work with equipment engineering and process engineering to develop product specific test and assembly equipment, and establish the related processes.
- Establish and maintain test capabilities by ensuring a rigorous control and traceability of test protocols, test equipment and proper training of new personnel.
- Provide feedback to development engineers about issues related to new or existing products.
- Conduct “DOEs” (Design of Experiment) to select the optimum set of process parameters.
- Establish Cause-Effect diagrams and work toward identifying and solving problems.
- Work with Failure-Analysis team to conduct visual inspection, testing and diagnostics of laser modules.
- Undergraduate Bachelor or Master in Physics, Optics, Laser or Electrical Engineering
- Ability to effectively use various laboratory instrumentation such as (but not limited to) optical spectrum analyzers, power-meters, photo-detectors, microscopes, oscilloscopes, etc.
- Work in clean room environment up to 8 hours/day.
- Excellent communication and team work skills; capability to drive tasks in a matrix organization and across functional borders.
- Ability to focus, structure complex problems, to make clear priority decisions and a strong drive to solve problems.
- LabVIEW or other programming language experience desired
TRUMPF is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, disability, veteran status, or other protected class.