R&D Project Engineer
Lead product development from conceptual stage to commercialization. Perform competitive overviews to provide innovative ideas and expand core product market share. Understand Tooling Design and selection of materials through application of engineering fundamentals, applied research, and Design For Manufacturability principles. Plans, directs, and coordinates activities of designated projects to ensure that goals or objectives of projects are accomplished within prescribed time frame and funding parameters by performing the following duties.
- Understand and apply Polymers Science on mechanical, chemical, and functional barrier and performance properties for different food applications.
- Responsible to interface and coordinate communication with customers, sales, manufacturing and vendors.
- Develops vendor/consulting relationships to enhance product improvement efforts and offerings.
- Understand technology and give feedback on tooling design in order to develop new products
- Prepare market/competitive research and project reports for management.
- Responsible for directing the development and testing of prototypes.
- Prepares proposals using understanding of costing model, investments and financial
- Executes planned projects, including, determining project timelines, funding, procedures for accomplishing projects, staffing requirements, and allotment of available resources to various phases of projects.
- Support Design, coordinate fabrication and evaluate manufacturing and inspection of tooling and its commissioning when new product is being developed
- Train production personnel on new or modified equipment, tooling, and associated processes.
- Support Engineering and Maintenance departments with Process validation and Product/Process Performance Qualification Activities to comply with Quality Management Systems
- Provide guidance to Manufacturing to optimize product performance.
- Familiar with thermoforming tooling design and manufacturing techniques and polymeric materials used in the process.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
Bachelor’s degree in Chemical Engineering or Materials Science, in addition to four to six years of product development experience is required.
Experience in Food Packaging is required.
Thorough technical understanding of production equipment, facility equipment and utilities.
Command of proper engineering practices and procedures.
Project Management Skills and Communication skills necessary.
Microsoft Office Excel, Project, PowerPoint, Word.
Good interpersonal, organizational and communication skills.
Excellent understanding of Polymer Science and application of materials in the Thermoforming process
Timeline management through Microsoft Project or Smartsheets
Charter creation and Risk management
Follow-up sprints and task
Risk assessment and budget follow-up and accomplishments
Communication skills with vendors and customer
Thermoforming and tool setup experience with PET, PP, and PS required
Barrier material experience is a plus.
Lean Manufacturing or Design for Six Sigma is a plus.
Green Belt certification is a plus.
Statistical software such as JMP or Minitab is a plus.