As an S&T Chemist you will join our growing Traffic Solutions technical team. You will be an authority related to Traffic Solution product developments, performance testing investigations. You will directly report to the Analytical Chemist and will report functionally to the Supervisor of Product Development located in Thomasville, NC.
PPG offers excellent Medical, Dental, & Vision Benefits; matching 401k + retirement savings; and Paid Vacation, Holiday pay
• Design and conduct lab experiments testing either on your own or at the direction of a senior chemist, including formulating paints, evaluating raw materials, assessing packaging feasibility, and performing root cause analyses.
• Maintenance of existing products, new product development, benchmarking competitor products, test drills, correcting plant issues including plant visits, and product stewardship and sustainability improvements are within the scope of responsibility.
• You will have an understanding fundamental principles, and structure-property relationship and root cause analysis to design experiments and test new ideas directed at improving coatings properties to reduce costs or improved efficiency in manufacturing and applications.
• Analytical testing of liquid paint, thermoplastic materials, and raw materials evaluation.
• Focus on customers by anticipating their needs and searching for ways to improve performance. and occasional visit to product application sites and customer locations.
• May use or develop new test methods and processes requiring originality and creativity.
• You will collaborate with Product Management, Operations, Supply Chain, and Sales functions to maintain business understanding.
• B.S. Degree in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, or equivalent scientific degree required. Water-based paint formulation experience preferred.
• 1+ years of experience using one or more analytical instruments and learn new techniques such as FTIR, GC, GC-MS, TGA, DSC, and Rheology is necessary. Will understand ASTM and other test methods.
• Familiarity with safe laboratory practices and equipment usage and an ability to follow recipes and test methods is required.
• Experience with statistical analysis tools including Sigma logic design of experiments (DOE) are crucial for success.