Robotics Engineer (Mechanical Biased)
National Oilwell Varco
Description – Robotics Mechanical Engineer
A highly motivated robotics engineer or mechanical engineer with a strong track record in robotics and machine automation to contribute to and be part of a team whose main objective will be to design and develop new, and refine existing systems, for automation in oil and gas drill floor activities, with the primary emphasis being improved safety, efficiency, and robust execution of handing operations.
- Provide engineering support on mechanical equipment.
- Conceptualize mechanical design solutions.
- Perform stress analysis on mechanical components/systems.
- Produce or check design layouts and detail drawings.
- Create tolerance studies and check design documentation.
- Research and specify purchased component parts.
- Design component and system level test plans and test fixtures.
- Generate engineering reports documenting design/analysis efforts and results.
- Conduct research on robotic hardware and software technologies to create new robotic systems or system capabilities.
- Participate in initial equipment conceptual ideas and development, specifications, and control requirements, for hands free and automated pipe handling and drilling.
- Research, assess, and where necessary design software (optional) and hardware systems for electromechanical equipment or systems, and advanced displays, advanced sensing, robotic platforms, computer vision.
- Research, assess, and where necessary design software (optional) and hardware systems for robotic applications related to the drilling industry pipe-handling activities using robotic platforms, open source or commercial.
- Participate in the definition of scope with vendors for the development of robotic and automated solutions for exclusive use in NOV equipment and rig packages.
- Participate in NOV specification and standards creation for robotic solutions, and release to vendor for quote and technical evaluation.
- Enforce application of NOV standards, and work with vendors during specification, design review, design approval.
- Establish test plans and control test plan execution with vendors and at NOV and customers facilities during installation and acceptance testing and commissioning.
- Configure and validate new automated drilling and pipe handling equipment for deployment onto NOV and customer assets.
- Degree in a related engineering field with practical experience in robotics and/or industrial automation.
- 2 years of proven work experience in the development of machine and mechanical systems.
- Location: 6390 N Eldridge Pkwy., Houston TX 77041.
- Hybrid schedule 3 days in the office / 2 days remote based on need of the business unit.
- Proficient in the following engineering software:
- CAD: Creo, Inventor, and/or SolidWorks
- FEA: Ansys, SolidWorks Simulation, or equivalent
- Ability to read P&ID, electrical and hydraulics schematics and translate into software environments.
Preferred Qualifications / Skills:
- Hands-on experience (e.g., mechanically inclined hobbies, experience in mechanic shop, hands-on with mechanical systems, welding).
- Have knowledge and experience working in or with an ISO and/or API Q1 certified manufacturing facility.
- Working knowledge of industry specifications: API 6A, 7K, and/or 8C.
- Working knowledge and experience of PLC and high-level programming languages such as Java, C, C++, LabView, Siemens, and operating systems such as Linux.
- Working knowledge of robotics platforms and tool kits both vendor specific (such as ABB, Yaskawa, Kawasaki, Kuka, etc) and vendor independent (such as ROS and ROS Industrial).
- Experience and working knowledge of AC drive systems.
- Experience of hydraulic systems and servo control.
- Experience and working knowledge of programing HMI systems.
Learn more about NOV Rig Technologies products and services, please visit us at https://www.nov.com/about/our-company-structure/rig.ID:uDnQdo