Silver Bay Seafoods, LLC
False Pass, AK
In this role as the Roe Lead, you will support your Roe Supervisor in the day-to-day operations for our Roe Production within the plant facility. The Roe Lead will be responsible for leading, and supporting a team of 25-35 employees, geared towards the production of high-quality, ready-to-eat frozen roe product.
You will assist the Roe Supervisor in the training of the department to follow GMP and safety policies and basic job duties. You will collaborate closely with fellow leads, quality technicians and your Ikura Supervisor to ensure the policies and processes are being followed to attain to most desirable product possible for our customers.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The responsibilities of the position include the following:
- Assist Roe Supervisor and Production Manager in all processes required for roe and ikura processing in accordance with company guidelines, policies, procedure, and regulatory authorities.
- Work diligently to enforce sanitation practices alongside the Quality Assurance department, resulting in the production of a safe product.
- Assist and support the Roe Supervisor and Production and Quality Assurance Managers with other functions and tasks as needed to ensure operational commitments.
- Ensure all equipment is set and running properly to achieve the most safe and efficient production processes on a daily basis.
- Act with the customers best interests in mind and value the extreme importance of providing a high-quality product.
- Must remain up to date with all safety procedures and evacuations relative to designated facility.
- Identify and report all safety or mechanical concerns related to the Ikura department to the direct supervisor.
- Assist in training employees on proper working ergonomics in addition to their assigned tasks and specific techniques in the Ikura department. This includes but is not limited to: brine making, grading roe, packing finished roe, running equipment, agitation timing, salinity testing, record keeping, as well as thorough sanitation.
- Other duties as assigned.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following functional and interpersonal competencies:
- Experience working in high-volume, fast paced environment required. The ability to adapt and excel when production plans change on short notice. Ability to remain calm in extremely stressful situations is a high priority.
- Attention to detail- Must be competent and comprehend complex operations. You should also be able to optimize day-to-day activities while minimizing the costs. Prioritizing tasks, working with a sense of urgency, and ensuring accurate data, all in unison. Must be able to factor in every piece of information that will lead to improved processes and reduced costs.
- Organization This is a critical skill that leads use to be successful and help manage your team. Often you have many tasks to complete each day, so its important for you to be able to prioritize your work. This means that you need to be able to organize tasks and time effectively.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed written or oral instructions. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers and other employees of the organization.
- Emotional Intelligence (EQ) The ability to recognize and understand emotions in oneself and others. This ability also involves using this emotional understanding to make decisions, solve problems, and communicate with others.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills- The ability to professionally interact with a diverse blend of personality types at all levels of the organization to ensure best working practices.
- Influencing - Must be able to gain influence in the organization to boost teams performance and development.
- Motivational Leadership - Leading by example as an ambassador for your team and our organization with a clear focus on ethics, diversity, open communication, teamwork, and values that highlight and promote the Silver Bay Seafoods brand and employee value proposition.
- Problem-solving Ability to identify potential issues and develop solutions to overcome them. As a lead, you are responsible for ensuring that your team meets its goals on time. You need to be able to identify potential challenges and develop strategies to overcome them.
Education and Experience
- Must have prior Seafood Industry experience working with roe production, specifically high-quality, ready-to-eat, fresh to finished product.
- Must be able to grade all species of Pacific Salmon Roe, understand brine making and delivery systems as well as the functions of automated Ikura and Sujiko equipment, including plate and blast freezing.
- Must have a general understanding and respect of common quality and sanitation practices.
Work Environment and Schedule
Position requires an onsite presence at the facility before, during and after the Salmon season.
While performing the essential function and job duties associated with the job, the employee is regularly required to sit, handle, or feel and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; reach with hands and arms and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds.
The employee is frequently required to set an example by consistently modeling high standards of honesty and integrity. Presentation and sharing of information should be handled in a direct, appropriate, and helpful manner. Maintains a reputation for honesty, confidentiality, reliability, and fairness. Is willing to admit mistakes and does not misrepresent him/herself for personal gain. Performs work with energy and drive; values planning, but will take quick, decisive action when an opportunity presents itself.
Silver Bay Seafoods is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to status as a protected veteran or a qualified individual with a disability, or other protected status such as race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or age.