Rotoflow – Senior Principal Mechanical Design Engineer
Job Description and Qualifications
At Air Products, our purpose is to bring people together to reimagine what’s possible, collaborate and innovate solutions to the world’s most significant energy and environmental sustainability challenges. Grow with us as we embark on building tomorrow together by being the safest, most diverse and most profitable industrial gas company in the world.
Reimagine What’s Possible
Are you looking for a dynamic, growth-oriented career working with extraordinary people with a mission to provide world-class products and customer service? Rotoflow®, An Air Products Business, may be the place for you!
Rotoflow® is a full-service turbomachinery OEM - providing a wide-range of new equipment solutions and aftermarket services to our customers globally. For over 75 years, Rotoflow® has designed and manufactured both standard and custom-engineered cryogenic and warm gas centrifugal turbomachinery used in market segments such as industrial gases, petrochemicals, and hydrocarbons. Products include compressor loaded turbo-expanders, generator-loaded power recovery expanders, and low-cost dissipative expanders. We offer new equipment designs, rerates, upgrades and repair along with field services, engineering evaluations, reliability, troubleshooting, training, remote diagnostics/data monitoring, shop services, and new equipment replacements for all types of centrifugal and reciprocating equipment. Our customers are served globally through regional service centers supported by both regional and centralized execution teams.
We are seeking a Senior Principal Mechanical Design Engineer responsible for the design, development and project execution of proprietary, high-speed rotating machinery and machinery support systems at our headquarters in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania.
Rotoflow® employees enjoy:
- Helping to grow a world-class machinery design business,
- Being part of an engineering, manufacturing, and business organization developing machinery solutions for our customers,
- Tapping into the wealth of technical experience available within Rotoflow® and the opportunity to explore technical interests,
- Being part of a team of highly motivated individuals,
- Seeing the results of efforts through growth of business,
- Collaborating with multi-functional teams across sales, products, execution, engineering, purchasing, and manufacturing on a wide variety of engineering activities with varying technical complexity and scope,
- The ability to grow and develop one’s career and take on increasing responsibility.
Responsibilities will include but not limited to:
- Perform various turbomachinery design analyses including FEA (stress, deflection, and modal), hand calculations, and rotordynamics,
- Development of standardized product deliverables collaborating with Product Owners
- Executing mechanical design tasks related to won projects and product development initiatives, support of aftermarket activities and engineering tasks,
- Communicate with vendors on technical solutions.
- Support root cause analyses (RCA) of equipment and field commissioning and start up activities executed by the Aftermarket Team,
- Drive engineering and material cost reductions and competitiveness across project and product offerings collaborating with stakeholders,
- Collaboration with customers to ensure proper design and integration of equipment into the process,
- Select components and materials for turbomachinery and systems,
- Perform safety and operability reviews,
- Collaborate with various subject areas to finalize equipment designs,
- Checking and approving manufacturing drawings,
- Support of bid estimate development,
- Collaborate with the Business Improvement Team to develop new and standardized design engineering tools and work processes for streamlining projects and product development,
- Challenge norms with alternate solutions rooted in engineering fundamentals,
- Promote safety and diversity consistent with the philosophies of Rotoflow®.
- Technical Degree: BSME or related degree, advanced degree and focus on turbomachinery design, rotordynamics, fluid film bearings, design for manufacturability, and/or manufacturing processes a plus,
- 10+ years turbomachinery or rotating machinery design experience,
- Detail-oriented, goal oriented, organized, creative, self-motivated, collaborative and customer focused,
- Excellent analytical, creativity, problem solving, time management, and decision-making skills.
- Advanced FEA capabilities a plus,
- Fluid film bearing, gas bearing, magnetic bearing, hydrostatic bearing and rolling element bearing applications and design experience a plus,
- Rotordynamic analysis capabilities a plus,
- Turbine testing, data acquisition and data evaluation a plus,
- 2D CAD and 3D modeling and simulation a plus,
- Equipment start up and plant integration a plus,
- Programming skills: VB, C#, C+, Python, Matlab, Fortran or similar languages a plus,
- Excellent interpersonal skills (written, verbal and presentation),
- Exemplify a passion for winning and ability to motivate teams,
- Ability to create an environment of trust and consistently exhibit a positive attitude.
We are the world’s largest hydrogen producer with over 80 years of industrial gas experience. We are hydrogen experts delivering safe, end-to-end solutions, investing in real, clean energy projects at scale, and driving the industry forward to generate a cleaner future.
At Air Products, we work in an environment where we put safety first, diversity is essential, inclusion is our culture, and each person knows they belong and matter. To learn more, visit About Air Products.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package including paid holidays and vacation, affordable medical, dental, life insurance and retirement plans. You will be eligible for benefits and also be 100% vested in your retirement benefits on your first day of employment.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer (U.S.). You will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, citizenship, gender, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, disability, or veteran status.
Air Products is committed to working with and providing a reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you have a disability and you believe you need a reasonable accommodation to search for a job opening or to submit an online application, please e-mail us at [email protected]. General application status inquiries are not answered by this mailbox rather you’ll receive an e-mail directly from our Career Center and/or the Talent Acquisition Specialist.