Scientist – Nutrition – Columbus, OH
Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals and branded generic medicines. Our 115,000 colleagues serve people in more than 160 countries.
Abbott is a global healthcare leader, creating breakthrough science to improve people’s health. We’re always looking towards the future, anticipating changes in medical science and technology.
Our nutrition business develops science-based nutrition products for people of all ages, from helping babies and children grow, to keeping adult bodies strong and active. Millions of people around the world count on our leading brands – including Similac®, PediaSure®, Pedialyte®, Ensure®, Glucerna® and ZonePerfect® – to help get the nutrients they need to live their healthiest life.
Working at Abbott
At Abbott, you can do work that matters, grow, and learn, care for yourself and family, be your true self and live a full life. You’ll also have access to:
- Training and career development, with onboarding programs for new employees and tuition assistance
- Financial security through competitive compensation, incentives and retirement plans
- Health care and well-being programs including medical, dental, vision, wellness and occupational health programs, Medical Benefits start day 1
- Vacation – 3 weeks accrued vacation (1st yr. is prorated) + vacation buy program + 3 personal days + 10 paid holidays
- Company Paid Pension Plan
- 401(k) retirement savings with a generous company match of 5%
- Tuition reimbursement, the Freedom 2 Save student debt program and FreeU education benefit - an affordable and convenient path to getting a bachelor’s degree.
- A company recognized as a great place to work in dozens of countries around the world and named one of the most admired companies in the world by Fortune.
- A company that is recognized as one of the best big companies to work for as well as a best place to work for diversity, working mothers, female executives, and scientists.
- The stability of a company with a record of strong financial performance and history of being actively involved in local communities
This position works out of our Columbus, OH location in the Nutrition Division.
What You’ll Work On
- The position will focus on the research and development of innovative nutritional product formulations. This will be done as part of a collaborative development team, requiring close interaction with discovery, nutrition science, commercial innovation and regulatory.
- The individual will have primary responsibility for executing studies, data evaluation and report writing in support of regulatory filings, product commercialization and early stage innovations.
- As a primary contributor to the technical team, the candidate will share responsibility for achieving project goals with optimum quality and margin considerations.
- Product development efforts will typically involve the sourcing and evaluation of new ingredients; optimization of the physical, nutrient, and sensory properties of products, and manufacturing prototypes to support needed clinical trials.
- Facilitate and foster the ideation of new product possibilities and/or product reformulations with an emphasis on establishing points of difference versus competitors, from a science-based nutrition innovation standpoint.
- Plan, execute, and manage the development of prototypes in the lab, pilot plant and at production facilities. Maintain technical and experiment documentation.
- Share and teach technical know-how on nutritional products innovation, formulation, processing, nutrients, and functional incorporation of key ingredients.
- Proactively identify and communicate project issues, evaluate alternative approaches, and recognize contingency plans.
- Embrace the organization's vision and strategy and collaboratively set project / program strategy by understanding the larger business context and creating role-appropriate strategies.
- The position requires knowledge of formulation, processing and packaging aspects pertaining to liquid and powdered nutritional products, as well as their nutritional, physical, and sensory stability.
- Beyond scientific skills, strong math, writing and verbal communication skills are required. The individual must be proactive in executing development steps and anticipating barriers to success.
- Experience with Design of Experiments, planning development strategies and interacting with suppliers is preferred.
- The candidate should be able to operate effectively in teams and collaborate with peers to accomplish project goals.
Required Education Qualifications
- PhD in food science, dairy science, food engineering, nutrition, microbiology, or closely related field with 0-3 years of relevant experience.
- Basic and applied research in industry and/or graduate work that blends science and technology with business highly desired.
- Outstanding background in science and/or engineering. Emphasis in food science, dairy chemistry, nutrition, emulsion stability, ingredient interactions, delivery systems for novel ingredients, or creating stable complex nutritional systems.
- Strong scientific curiosity and enjoy experimentation to create innovative products.
- Display innovative thinking, open to sharing ideas and willing to continuously learn.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with desire and ability to work within a highly collaborative environment: work constructively, decisively, and collegially with external and internal customers, consumers, and key opinion leaders; closely collaborate with global teams and colleagues.
* Participants who complete a short wellness assessment qualify for FREE coverage in our HIP PPO medical plan. Free coverage applies in the next calendar year.
Learn more about our health and wellness benefits, which provide the security to help you and your family live full lives: www.abbottbenefits.com
Follow your career aspirations to Abbott for diverse opportunities with a company that can help you build your future and live your best life. Abbott is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to employee diversity.
Connect with us at www.abbott.com, on Facebook at www.facebook.com/Abbott and on Twitter @AbbottNews and @AbbottGlobal.
The salary for this role is between:N/A
JOB FAMILY:Product Development
DIVISION:ANRD Nutrition Research & Development
LOCATION:United States > Columbus : RP04
TRAVEL:Yes, 10 % of the Time
SIGNIFICANT WORK ACTIVITIES:Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day), Continuous standing for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day), Keyboard use (greater or equal to 50% of the workday)
Abbott is an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities/Women/Individuals with Disabilities/Protected Veterans.
EEO is the Law link - English: http://webstorage.abbott.com/common/External/EEO_English.pdf
EEO is the Law link - Espanol: http://webstorage.abbott.com/common/External/EEO_Spanish.pdf ID:uDnQdo