San Diego, CA
Job SummaryGeneral Atomics (GA), and its affiliated companies, is one of the world’s leading resources for high-technology systems development ranging from the nuclear fuel cycle to remotely piloted aircraft, airborne sensors, and advanced electric, electronic, wireless and laser technologies.
General Atomics Electromagnetic Systems (GA-EMS) designs and manufactures first-of-a-kind electromagnetic and electric power generation systems. GA-EMS’ expanding portfolio of specialized products and integrated system solutions support critical fleet, space systems and satellites, missile defense, power and energy, and process and monitoring applications for defense, industrial, and commercial customers worldwide.
We currently have an exciting opportunity for a Senior Scientist in our High Voltage Science and Capacitors team, within our Electromagnetic Systems group located in Rancho Bernardo, CA.
This position will work with a diverse team of scientists and engineers and execute research projects focused on improving high energy density, high power, and high temperature pulsed power capacitors. The candidate:
- will have considerable latitude in determining technical objectives for the review, research, design, development, and solution to improving dielectric materials, electrodes, interfaces, device encapsulation, and designs.
- must demonstrate a strong command of interfacial chemistry and physics, materials science, reaction chemistry, and materials characterization capabilities.
- should be familiar with high voltage testing and environments.
- will provide direction and guidance to professional and support staff to formulate technical plans for development, documentation, and deployment of the scientific solutions, as well as responsible for meeting various compliance, reporting, and safety standards.
- must be familiar with technical proposal writing, technical presentations, large-scale data analysis, chemical process development, and demonstrate a strong understanding and adherence to scientific principles.
- communicates with scientific professionals, solution users, and management throughout the solution development cycle, represents the company as a prime technical contact on contracts and/or projects, interacts with senior external personnel on technical matters requiring coordination between the organizations, and participates in the development of new or expansion of existing business.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Function in a leadership role for capacitor research and development projects/programs and provide direction and guidance to less experienced professional staff or team of professional staff.
- Lead efforts to develop, produce, and characterize new dielectric materials and processes for improving existing materials.
- Lead efforts to bring new technologies from early development stage to productization.
- Provides written and oral technical updates and reports to internal and external customers.
- May develop and/or perform advanced computational and thermal modeling and new methods for characterizing dielectric phenomena.
- Determine technical objectives and execute experiments focused on finding solutions to advanced technical scientific problems.
- Coordinate and participate in technical collaboration with groups within and outside the organization.
- Represent the organization as the prime technical contact for the team on assigned projects and programs.
- Formulate plans and guide the development and implementation of scientific solutions, including deployment, resource requirements, testing, documentation, integration and compliance and safety.
- Plan and coordinate the maintenance of scientific solutions including documentation, reporting, publishing, and making technical and other presentations to ensure viability of the solutions in an evolving environment.
- Plan for future applications of solutions based on new developments in scientific technology.
- Participate in or lead the development of new or expansion of existing business opportunities.
- Responsible for observing all laws, regulations, and other applicable obligations wherever and whenever business is conducted on behalf of the Company.
- Expected to work in a safe manner in accordance with established operating procedures and practices.
- Perform other duties as assigned or required.
We recognize and appreciate the value and contributions of individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences and welcome all qualified individuals to apply.
- Typically requires a Bachelor's degree, Master's degree or PhD in a scientific or related technical field and progressively complex scientific experience as follows; twelve or more years experience with a Bachelor's degree, ten or more years experience with a Master's degree, and seven or more with a PhD. Equivalent scientific experience may be substituted in lieu of education.
- Must demonstrate:
- detailed and extensive technical expertise and application of scientific principles, concepts, theory, and practice.
- the ability to organize, plan, schedule, conduct, and coordinate workloads to meet established deadlines or milestones with experience in project leadership.
- have original work published in professional scientific journals and/or demonstrate patent ownership.
- have presented one or more original works in scientific symposia.
- Must possess:
- the ability to understand new concepts quickly and apply them accurately in an evolving environment.
- excellent communication, computer, presentation, and interpersonal skills to effectively interface with other departments, customers, government representatives, and professionals.
- the capability of representing the organization as a prime technical contact.
- the ability to provide mentoring, leadership, and guidance to less experienced professionals.
- Must have experience with polymers, dielectrics, surface science, electrode-polymer interface electronic phenomena, and mentoring a scientific team.
- Must have proven record of success in both collaborative and independent scientific research efforts.
- Must also be customer focused; able to work on a self-initiated basis or in a team environment.
- An advanced degree in chemistry, materials science, or physics with an emphasis on interface chemistry, dielectrics, polymers, or synthesis is strongly preferred.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a DoD Security Clearance is required.