SCIENTIST/SENIOR SCIENTIST, NGS & MOLECULAR BIOLOGY
Gritstone Oncology, Inc.
Gritstone bio is a public, next-generation personalized cancer and infectious immunotherapy company. Gritstone brings together distinguished scientific founders, an experienced and diverse management team, a seasoned and successful board of directors and deep financial backing to tackle fundamental challenges at the intersection of cancer genomics, immunology, and immunotherapy design. The company’s goal is to identify and deploy neoantigens for novel treatments of cancer and infectious diseases. In addition to neoantigen therapy development, Gritstone is leveraging its unique antigen discovery platform to define targets for shared antigen immunotherapies, which would provide an opportunity to treat even more patients.
We are seeking a Scientist I/II or Senior Scientist I/II to help harness the immune system to treat cancer. The primary role of this individual is to collaborate with team members for execution of next-generation sequencing assays to drive the therapeutic program and support key company initiatives. Approaches cover the broad spectrum of molecular biology and NGS technologies in high-throughput genomics and include hands-on experience with nucleic acid extraction, DNA/RNA sequencing library construction, and amplicon/hybrid-capture enrichment from relevant biological materials (FFPE, PBMCs, plasma, etc.). We are looking for an enthusiastic and motivated team player who will thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic, and highly collaborative environment. This is an opportunity to work for a biotechnology company driving individualized cancer vaccines.
- The position is primarily a lab-based position with at least 60-75% of time dedicated to wet lab work.
- Perform manual nucleic acid extraction from FFPE, PBMCs, whole blood, plasma, and other clinical samples.
- Assist with manual NGS wet lab assays including whole exome, whole transcriptome, and other targeted assays using hybrid capture or amplicon enrichment
- Collaborate with clinical and research teams (clinical operations, bioinformatics, immunology) for sample management, data deliverables, and discovery research projects
- Participate in discovery and innovation for new biomarker and translational projects that support ongoing clinical trials
- Maintain meticulous laboratory documentation to support research efforts
- Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) with 10+ years; Master's Degree (or equivalent) with 8+ years; or Ph.D. with 0-3+ years of experience in a scientific discipline or a health-related field for a Scientist I/II level.
- Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) with 15+ years; Master's Degree (or equivalent) with 13+ years; or Ph.D. with 5+ years of experience in a scientific discipline or a health-related field for a Senior Scientist I/II level.
- Hands-on manual experience with column-based and magnetic bead-based DNA/RNA extraction methods for DNA, RNA, and cfDNA.
- Knowledge of Illumina NGS workflows including library construction, hybrid capture enrichment, or amplicon-based sequencing
- Basic familiarity with informatics preferred, such as analysis using Galaxy, R, or command-line tools
- Experience with third generation sequencing libraries desired
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Able to work effectively in a fast-paced, small start-up company environment.
- Self-motivated, self-disciplined and able to function independently as well as part of a team.
- Strategic agility, strong critical and logical thinking with ability to analyze problems
- Strong ability to prioritize, multi-task, and work in an evolving environment
- Excellent presentation and written/verbal communication skills.
- Excellent computer proficiency (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
The well-being and safety of our employees is our top priority. Gritstone requires all U.S. employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment regardless of location of role (fully remote or site-based). Fully vaccinated is defined as two weeks after both doses of a two-dose vaccine or two weeks since a single-dose vaccine has been administered. If you are unable to be vaccinated, you will have an opportunity to request a reasonable accommodation consistent with applicable laws.
Gritstone bio anticipates that the annual base salary for the Scientist I/II position could range between $98,500 - $170,000. The anticipated annual base salary for the Senior Scientist I/II level position could range between $116,000 - $200,000. Compensation will depend, in part, on the successful candidate’s credentials for the role, including education, qualifications, and type as well as length of experience. Any offered salary is also based on internal equity, internal position salary ranges, and market data. The salary range listed does not include any applicable bonuses or long-term incentives, differential pay or other forms of compensation or benefits. Gritstone is a multistate employer and the salary offered will be market competitive. At Gritstone, it is not typical for an individual to be hired at or near the top of the range for their role and compensation decisions are dependent on the facts and circumstances of each case.
Gritstone’s benefit package includes medical, dental, vision, life insurance, and paid parental leave. Employees are also eligible to enroll in the 401k plan, which includes a 4% company match with immediate vesting. Employees are eligible to enroll in benefits effective the first day of employment and the competitive Paid Time Off (PTO) begins accruing on the first day as well. The job offer also includes an equity grant and eligibility for annual refresh grants based on performance. Gritstone employees also benefit from an Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP) and thirteen (13) designated paid holidays as well as two (2) personal days.
Gritstone bio is an Equal Opportunity employer, as such, recruiting is conducted in a fair and non-discriminatory manner without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.