Screw Machine Operator/Set Up
Sargent & Greenleaf, Inc.
Job Title: Screw Machine Operator/Set Up
Department: Manufacturing – Screw Machine
FLSA: Non-Exempt: Hourly
Location: Nicholasville, KY
Reports to: Production Supervisor
Sets up, loads raw materials and operates various models of Brown & Sharpe screw machines, D2 Escomatics, SR32 type N Star machines and CNC Lathes.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Reads and interprets blueprints, engineering specification, and shop orders to determine machine setup, production methods, and sequence of operation.
- Operators must install and adjust cams, gears and stops to machine and verify positioning of cutting tools. Make changes to speed, feed rates or tool positions to ensure accurate reproduction of the blue print. Must be willing to learn how to grind circular form tools, chasers and turning tools.
- Positions and clamps stops, guides and adjust clutches and keep tools sharpened. Adjusts controls to set and regulate machining factors such as adjustment rolls, blade angle and machine speed.
- Starts machine and observes machine operation to reposition work piece, thread dies or adjust machine settings for multiple or successive passes.
- Must have the flexibility to run multiple machines at the same time.
- Inspects or measures work via gauges, plug gauges, thread ring and rung gauges. Must be able to read micrometers, calipers and digital and dial indicators.
- Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
- High school diploma or equivalent. Minimum of six months related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; talk; and hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl.
- The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 40 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision and the ability to adjust focus.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee works near moving mechanical parts or machinery.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.