Senior Boiler Reliability Engineer
Fort Myers, FL
Join us in creating a sustainable future and becoming a protector of tomorrow!
The Senior Boiler Reliability Engineer will be responsible for developing and implementing the inspection and maintenance methods, procedures and practices to minimize pressure part failures and maximize boiler reliability, review and update Technical Service Bulletins, Mentor Boiler Reliability Engineers, closely collaborate with Regional Maintenance Managers and Senior Management. Reporting to the Boiler Reliability Manager, the Senior Boiler Reliability Engineer will ensure consistent oversight of boiler pressure parts, refractory, high energy piping, scrubber vessel and flue gas duct work system component life through detailed inspection and reporting to management. Develop and maintain monthly reports for pressure part and grate failures and Report to Senior Management.
Pressure part failures are the largest cause of unscheduled downtime in our EfW plants. Effective planning and execution of boiler inspections, proper specification of materials, and oversight of repair and replacement procedures is critical to reducing failures and improving boiler reliability.
The flue gas train which includes the scrubber, baghouse and all connecting ductwork can greatly impact the proper operation of the boiler and environmental compliance if not effectively maintained. Effective coordination of the inspections with the facility, condition assessment, and communication of best practices is critical to reliability of these components.
DUTIES/RESPONSIBILITIES BY PERCENT:
- Develop and execute Outage inspection plan. Ensure adequate and qualified inspection resources are available for all outages. Develop plant personnel and contractor support to perform thorough and complete inspections. (50%)
- Accurately complete Condition Assessment Reports after each major and minor outage. Accurately communicate inspection findings and recommendations during the outages to Facility Management and Maintenance Group. (10%)
- Complete Condition Assessment Reporting Executive Summary for each facility communicating the priorities, risk assessment, and recommendations to regional and senior management. Plan condition assessment review meetings with each facility. Ensure recommendations are consistent with future outage plans, 5-year plans and long-term economics. (10%)
- Assist in developing standards to track and maintain historical data on pressure part component life. Provide detailed life cycle analysis by pressure part component and other major boiler component by facility. (<5%)
- Maintain intimate knowledge of facilities availability and issues as it relates to boiler condition. (<5%)
- Communicate with the Boiler Reliability Director and Product Sourcing Manager regional pressure part requirements. Ensure pressure part bid specifications are developed in a timely fashion to support procurement initiatives within the company. (<5%)
- Establish and maintain a High Energy Piping Condition Assessment Program. This primarily includes the boiler feedwater piping, main steam piping, and associated pipe hangers, but not limited to these systems. Other systems may include sootblower piping, boiler drains, boiler penthouse piping, and turbine extraction. (<5%) Review of all major pressure part replacement scopes and pressure part design modifications with the Boiler Reliability Director. Coordinate with suppliers and vendors to ensure that all pressure parts and products are delivered to meet all of our quality control requirements, perform shop QA/QC Inspections prior to delivery. (10%)
- Coordinate Scrubber vessel inspection with the facility as required by technical standards. Develop condition assessment reports based on NDE and visual inspections. Communicate repair scopes based on best practices. Develop historical mapping of the past and present repairs. (<5%)
- Coordinate flue gas duct work and Baghouse inspections with the facilities. Develop condition assessment reports based on NDE and visual inspections. Communicate repair scopes based on best practices. Develop historical mapping of the past and present repairs (<%5)
- Coordinate with Corporate Engineering and Boiler Reliability Director on all regional R&D projects and material evaluation programs. Establish and coordinate field work on pressure part material test programs. (5%)
- Provide technical review on boiler and scrubber related Technical Standards, and periodically review and assess compliance by all facilities. (<5%)
REQUIREMENTS (Education, Skills, Certificate, Licenses, Experience):
- 5+ years of overall boiler engineering experience in a highly industrial environment, preferably in a power generation or similar utility-based environment.
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering strongly preferred. Equivalent experience in boiler operation, inspection, maintenance, and project management may be considered
- Ability understand and assess technical conditions of full units (boilers, air pollution control units, baghouse, and associated ductwork, etc.)
- Demonstrated ability to read and interpret technical documents, manuals, and mechanical drawings.
- Ability to develop technical specifications and evaluations for use by both facility management and affiliated functions (maintenance, procurement, etc.)
- Ability to provide subject matter expertise in continuous improvement activities as well as on project teams.
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office - specifically in creating spreadsheets with modeling / pivot tables and associated data analysis
- Proficiency in design software highly preferred (AutoCAD, etc.)
- Exposure to condition assessment reporting software is preferred, but not necessary
- Ability to effectively communicate a variety of technical information and recommendations across all levels of the organization both in office and in the field
- Expertise in technical writing and reporting
- Job requires physical demands consistent with work in industrial environment.
- Operating facility environment with OSHA required PPE, safety training for areas including confined spaces.
- 12-14-hour shifts, can be consecutive, up to 14 days on both day and night shift during outages
- Occasional lifting required but typically no more than 50 pounds
- Entering and exiting boilers throughout the shift through various size entry/exit points requiring agility and ability to bend and twist to make entry of or exiting boilers. Comfort in confiined spaces is required.
- Wearing of full-face respirator for extended period on a daily basis during outages
- Walking, bending, twisting and climbing of scaffolding and stairs throughout shift.
- Use of a handheld grinder is also required at times.
- Job requires physical demands consistent with work in industrial environment.
- Majority of work will be accomplished by traveling to facilities performing assigned tasks and supporting scheduled and unscheduled outages
- This job requires frequent travel within the designated region, occasional off shift work and weekends for outage support will be required
- This job requires frequent (~75%) travel across North America (US, Canada) with occasional off shift work and weekends for outage support required and 25% in a home office setting (planning, development, and analysis of technical documentation)
Covanta is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status.
EOE AA M/F/Protected Veteran Status/Disability EEO is the Law Poster (The poster can be found at https://www.dol.gov/sites/dolgov/files/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf). Level, Title and/or Salary may be adjusted based on the applicant's experience or skills.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you may request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to access job openings or apply for a job on this site as a result of your disability. You can request reasonable accommodations by contacting us at email@example.com.ID:uDnQdo