Johnson Matthey Pharmaceutical Materials
West Chester, PA
Together for a cleaner, healthier world.
Johnson Matthey, a FTSE 100 company, is a global leader in sustainable technologies specialising in catalysis, precious metal products, chemicals and process technology. With operations in over 30 countries, we employ more than 14,000 people. Johnson Matthey uses science to make the world cleaner and healthier. Over the past two centuries we have built our reputation and place as a global leader through quality, integrity, and innovation. Today, more than 93% of the group's sales come from products and services which provide sustainability benefits through the positive impact they have on the environment, resource efficiency and human health, but that’s not enough. We have ambitious plans for growth and need talented individuals to help shape and lead us into our next century.
Platinum Group Metal Services (PGMS) is a leading refiner and recycler of precious group metals. The growing demand for low carbon and responsibly sourced products is creating growth opportunities in critical metals recycling and secondary refining, and as the world’s largest precious metals recycler, PGMS is a key player in the circular economy.
This position, which reports directly to the Analytical Lab Manager, will manage the metrology program for both ICP and Metallurgical (MET) Labs; with focus on ICP instrumentation method development and qualification. The incumbent will provide backup responsibilities to the Analytical Lab Manager. As needed, the Senior Chemist may perform chemical and/or mechanical testing, supporting the ICP and MET labs.
This position uses SPC to monitor analytical processes and also participates in the development of analytical methods and instrumentation testing procedures.
- Follow plant safety, health and environmental procedures
- Manage the metrology program for ICP and MET labs and provide backup responsibilities to Lab Manager.
- The primary duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Work with Lab Manager to evaluate replacement and /or new instrumentation for ICP and MET labs
- Oversee method development and qualification of instruments
- Troubleshoot and work with Chemists, Techs, Specialist to resolve instrumentation issue
- Monitor instrumentation reliability and work with Lab Manager to initiate Capex as needed to ensure sustenance/ business continuity
- Provide technical liaison with other JM labs such as JM Royston to benchmark and standardize analytical methods where possible
- Provide technical assistance to internal / external customers as required
- Communicates progress on status of work assignments. Interfaces with other departments as required
- Possesses an in-depth understanding of melt production processes and maintains an ongoing proficiency with all related analytical and instrumentation test methods relative to customer and plant specifications
- Utilizes all lab equipment and material in accordance with job requirements in a safe and cost-effective manner
- Maintains a safe, clean and orderly work area that meet or exceed the plant 5S standards
- May perform other related assignments /projects as determined by Lab Manager
- May provide mechanical testing support to MET Lab
- Flexibility in providing overtime coverage as needed to support plant customer focus and key metrics
Requirements for the role:
- Bachelor of Chemistry or related science with a minimum of 5 years analytical and/or development lab experience; with at least 3 years of hands-on experience in spectroscopy. Independent judgment in the application of advanced scientific principles pertaining to analytical analyses and assisting in method development is essential.
- Experience with ICP or elemental analysis is required
- Must have knowledge in the areas of chemical analysis and quality systems
- Details oriented
- Self-motivated. Able to work independently and in teams.
- Customer focus
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Working experience with ISO 9001, AS400/ERP/SAP and laboratory information management system such as LIMS is desired
How you will be rewarded:
We offer a competitive compensation and JM Elements benefits package including bonus, excellent pension contributions and 20 days annual leave (varies for shift- based roles). Our JM Elements Benefits programme helps our employees understand and manage the JM benefits, as well as helping you focus on your overall wellbeing – for you and your family.
We use our inspiring science and technology to enhance lives. For those who are passionate about sustainable solutions and shaping our markets, we offer stretch and a wealth of diverse opportunities.
We’ll give you freedom to bring your whole self to work and be part of a team where difference matters and all voices are heard, that genuinely cares for you and where your contribution is appreciated. We’ll empower you to lean in and make things happen, to create solutions and value for our customers. United by our values and vision, we’re self-starters sharing the same values and accountability and always with a shared commitment to doing the right thing. We’re passionate about making a difference and delivering a better tomorrow for us and for you – a cleaner and healthier world, today and for future generations.
Johnson Matthey is open for discussion on part time, job share and flexible working patterns.
How to apply:
If you have the necessary skills and experience to join our team, please apply online. For any queries or should you require any reasonable adjustments to support your application please let your recruiter know when they contact you.
If you are already a Johnson Matthey Employee, please visit the internal careers site to apply: Find Jobs - Workday (myworkday.com)
All applications are carefully considered and your details will be stored on our secure Application Management System. This is used throughout Johnson Matthey for the selection of suitable candidates for our vacancies as they arise. Johnson Matthey respects your privacy and is committed to protecting your personal information. For more information about how your personal data is used please view our privacy notice: Johnson Matthey Privacy Notice
You will be contacted by the Johnson Matthey Talent Acquisition team once your details have been reviewed. Please allow four weeks from the closing date to allow for screening to take place.
We appreciate the time and effort taken in completing an application.
By applying for this role and creating an account you are agreeing to Johnson Matthey Privacy Notice
Johnson Matthey Plc is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.